How do I gain muscle? A question I get asked all the time. The simple answer is to eat & lift but if you want more there are a few tips!
- I think it’s only appropriate that we start out with protein. EAT ENOUGH PROTEIN. Protein is the building block of muscle. There’s a ton of research around this and lots of people have different opinions but I think eating .7 grams to 1 gram of protein per pound of your bodyweight is the safe bet. So if you weigh 150lbs you’ll wanna be eating at least 105 grams-150 grams of protein a day. You can’t start a car without enough fuel and you can’t build muscle without enough protein.
- Compound Exercises. These are gonna be lifts like squats, bench, deadlifts, and so on that incorporate more than 1 muscle. Do you need them to gain muscle? No. Do they help? Absolutely. Compound exercises involve more muscle tissue.
- SLEEP & REST. Your muscles can’t grow without these. Think about it, if you’re in the gym working your ass off tearing up your muscles and you don’t give them time to repair…how will they grow? If you hurt yourself, you rest. If you’re sick, you rest. If you workout your liver too much, you rest. Your body needs time to heal itself but in this case we’ll call it repair because it sounds cooler.
- Compensate for cardio. You’ve probably heard the quote “cardio kills gains” before but I personally don’t think you should stop doing cardio when you’re “bulking” because it’s great for the heart. What I do think you should do is to factor into your diet any form of cardio you do and eat more. Walk an extra mile or two that day? Eat another 1-200 calories.
- Don’t worry about FAT. Unless you’re turning into Tim Allen in the Santa Clause you have to realize that with weight gain there’s going to be some fat gain. Gaining 1-2lbs a week is fine, anything more than that I would take a look at your diet.
- If you’re still having trouble gaining weight then pack up and move to Amsterdam, California, Colorado, etc. I think you get where I’m going with this.
I hope at least one of these helped you out! Let me know some other tips that have helped you guys out below in the comments!