HEY! Guess what we’re FINALLY going to do? We’re gonna make another slow cooker recipe!!! I know these recipes are a majority favorite so lets just jump right into this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan recipe that’s GREAT for meal prep!
First take out your slow cooker, link to the one I’m using (it’s around $30 shipped): My Slow Cooker: http://amzn.to/2kb3a6c
Next, add in 3 pounds of chicken breast, 2 28 ounces cans of crushed tomatoes, salsa, or your favorite pasta sauce. No salted added crushed tomatoes or salsa will be your healthiest option but a flavored pasta sauce will make the recipe taste even better (just a little tip). Continue with 1 chopped up red onion, 1 tablespoon of basil, 1 teaspoon of parsley, and 1 teaspoon of oregano. Mix those together and throw your cover on. You can cook it on high for around 4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Cooking time will depend on how thick your chicken breast is.
After that remove the cover and shred your chicken using two forks, it should shred pretty easy if it’s cooked. Add in 3 ounces of cream cheese and 1 box of a higher protein pasta, half a box, or none if you’re watching your carbs. Mix those in.
Last sprinkle on top 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and 1 1/2 cups of a reduced fat mozzarella cheese. Cover and continue cooking on low for around 10-15 minutes. If you cook it too long your pasta will get a bit mushy so just keep an eye on it, it’ll thicken up nicely once it’s done.
To portion this out all you have to do is weigh the whole recipe and divide into how many portions you want. I made 7 and each portion was around 470 grams. Another “hack” here is to weigh your slow cooker bowl before adding in all of your ingredients and remember that number. When it’s done just re-weigh it and subtract the weight of the bowl then divide. That sounds more confusing than it is.
Check out the Labrada Nutrition YouTube for more great tips, advice, and recipes:
Here is the recipe:
- 3 Pounds (48 Ounces) Chicken Breast
- 2 Cans or 56 Ounces Total No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes, Salsa, or Pasta Sauce
- 1 Chopped Red Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Box (14.5 Ounces) Pasta (or HALF/NONE)
- 3 Ounces Fat Free Cream Cheese (or Reduced/Full Fat)
- 1 1/2 Cups Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese (or Full Fat)
Calories in the whole recipe WITHOUT PASTA:
- Calories: 2477
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated Fat: 23g
- Sodium: 3057mg
- Carbs: 109g Net Carbs = 87g
- Fiber: 22g
- Sugar: 71g
- Protein: 409g
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 5045
- Fat: 69g
- Saturated Fat: 26g
- Sodium: 3372mg
- Carbs: 578g Net Carbs = 507g
- Fiber: 71g
- Sugar: 92g
- Protein: 528g
Calories in each serving (if you make 7 w/ pasta):
- Calories: 720
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Sodium: 481.7mg
- Carbs: 82.5g Net Carbs = 72.4g
- Fiber: 10.1g
- Sugar: 13.1g
- Protein: 75.4g
How to make:
- Add your Chicken, Sauce, Basil, Parsley, and Oregano into your slow cooker
- Mix everything up a bit
- Cook those on Low for 6-7 hours or High for 4 hours (cooking time depends on how thick your chicken breast is)
- Remove your cover and shred your chicken using two forks
- Mix in your Cream Cheese and Pasta
- Sprinkle on your cheese
- Continue cooking on Low for 10-15 minutes
- Use your flavored pasta sauce!
- Find a lower sugar sauce to cut down on the sugar!