This Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls recipe is packed with protein, complex carbs, and enough flavor to make you forget about your favorite burrito spot! Rather than tell you how easy it is to prep…I’m just gonna show you…
To make these burrito bowls start with 2 pounds of fat trimmed chicken breast (an easy way to trim the fat off if you don’t have a decent is knife is to just use a pair of kitchen shears). Chop your chicken breast in half once trimmed and then layer those into the bottom of your slow cooker. Next add in 2 cans of drained & rinsed low sodium black beans, 1 24 ounce jar of salsa, 2 cups of frozen corn, 1/2 cup of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic, and either 1/2 packet of a low sodium taco seasoning mix which is super easy and cheap OR 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of oregano, and some black pepper.
Give those ingredients a mix making sure you keep your chicken breast submerged and then turn your slow cooker on either high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. After that time remove the lid and shred your chicken up with two forks, it should break apart pretty easy if it’s cooked.
To eat this I usually layer it in a bowl with 1/2 cup of rice, a serving of some cheese, a little sour cream or plain greek yogurt, and a couple chopped up green onions on top. It’s everything you could imagine and more!!!
Now lets get to a couple tips and things.
- You can easily change up the temperature of this recipe by using either mild, medium, or hot salsa.
- This recipes freezes great if you wanna make more than a weeks worth!
- I personally make 5 servings out of this and each serving for me is usually around 18 ounces.
Thank you guys for reading/watching, hit that thumbs up button/leave a comment if you like these slow cooker recipe ideas and want some more this year!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 Pounds (32 Ounces) Chicken Breast
- 2 Cans (439g Cans/878g Total) Low Sodium Black Beans
- 1 Jar (24 Ounces/680g) Salsa
- 2 Cups (270g) Frozen Corn
- 1/2 Cup (4 Ounces) Water
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- Some Black Pepper
TIP: If you don’t have all those spices, are lazy, and/or want something cheap you can use:
- 1/2 Packet Low Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
How to make:
- Trim the fat off of your Chicken Breast and cut them in half
- Layer your Chicken into the bottom of your slow cooker
- Drain and rinse your Black Beans then add everything else in
- Give it a quick mix to combine your spices, making sure to keep your Chicken submerged before covering
- Cover and cook on Low Heat 7-8 hours or High Heat 4-5 hours
- Once cooked, take 2 forks and shred up your Chicken
- Switch up the temperature with other spices or mild, medium, and hot salsa!
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 2127
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 3420mg
- Carbs: 229g
- Fiber: 74g
- Sugar: 30g
- Protein: 278g
Calories in each serving (if you make 5 which are usually around 18 ounces each):
- Calories: 425
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 684mg
- Carbs: 45.8g
- Fiber: 14.8g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 55.6g