Ready to meal prep? This Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls recipe is packed with protein, complex carbs, and enough flavor to make you forget about your favorite burrito spot! Rather than tell you how easy it is to prep, let’s just get right into it.
To make these slow cooker burrito bowls start with 2 pounds of fat trimmed chicken breast. Did you know that you can easily trim your chicken breast with some kitchen shears (life hack)? Chop your chicken breast in half once trimmed and then layer those into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Next, add in 2 cans of drained & rinsed low sodium black beans, 1 24 ounce jar of salsa, 2 cups of frozen corn, 1/2 cup of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic, and either 1/2 packet of a low sodium taco seasoning mix (easy method) OR 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of oregano, and some black pepper.
Give those ingredients a quick mix. Before turning your slow cooker on, you’ll want to make sure you keep your chicken breast submerged after mixing it. Doing this will make sure everything cooks evenly.
Turn your slow cooker on either high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. After that time, remove the lid and shred your chicken up with two forks. It should break apart pretty easy if it’s cooked.
Your burrito bowls are here!
To eat this, I usually layer it in a bowl with 1/2 cup of rice, a serving of some cheese, a little sour cream or plain greek yogurt, and a couple chopped up green onions on top. These easy slow cooker burrito bowls are everything you could imagine and more! Or something like that. They’re delicious!
I personally make 5 servings out of this one and each serving for me is usually around 18 ounces.
Dessert time! Try our Fudge Brownie Protein Bars next.
Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breast 32 Ounces
- 2 Cans Black Beans 439g Cans/878g (Low Sodium)
- 1 Jar Salsa 24 Ounces/680g
- 2 Cups Corn 270g (Frozen)
- ½ Cup Water 4 Ounces
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- Black Pepper Your choice
- Trim the fat off of your Chicken Breast and cut them in half
- Layer your Chicken into the bottom of your slow cooker
- Drain and rinse your Black Beans then add everything else in
- Give it a quick mix to combine your spices, making sure to keep your Chicken submerged before covering
- Cover and cook on Low Heat 7-8 hours or High Heat 4-5 hours
- Once cooked, take 2 forks and shred up your Chicken
- Calories: 2127
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 3420mg
- Carbs: 229g
- Fiber: 74g
- Sugar: 30g
- Protein: 278g
- Calories: 425
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 684mg
- Carbs: 45.8g
- Fiber: 14.8g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 55.6g