HEY! Alright, so something I hear all the time, “DON’T TAKE PROTEIN POWDER because…” and “TAKE PROTEIN POWDER because…“. Well I can’t force you to take it but I can give you 7 reasons why I would suggest you start taking it!
Real quick before we jump into this. There’s 2 main kinds of protein powder.
- Whey protein which is the most common and digests the quickest (great before or after a workout).
- Casein protein which is the next most common and digests the slowest (great for before bed if you get hungry at night).
There’s also soy, egg, pea, hemp, and so on. I think there’s even cricket protein now! All of them are fine but whey and casein are the most widely available. Now onto why YOU should use them:
- Convenience. Not everyone has all the time in the world or there may just be days you’re super busy. Either way, you have macros to hit, fat to lose or muscle to gain, and the alternative is probably gonna to make you feel like garbage so packing a shake is quick diet insurance.
- Cost. I think most people assume protein powder is more expensive because of the convenience but the reality is you’re getting around 30 grams of protein for a dollar. If you look around or wait for a sale I’m confident you can find it for around .50-.75 cents a serving. I don’t know about where you live but where I live you’re not gonna find anything cheaper than that for that protein return unless you grab your fishing rod and catch it yourself.
- It digests quick so if you’re starving it’s a quick way to fill the void before you go off the deep end or if you like getting some calories in before or after the gym it’s a great option plus there’s more than a handful of people out there who will tell you drinking some quick digestible protein after the gym is beneficial for gains.
- Variety. With powders, there’s a ton of it. In the mood for chocolate? How about vanilla ice cream? Or the taste of a cinnamon bun? You can find all of these and wayyyy more. It’s a quick fix for those cravings and much healthier.
- You need protein in your diet and not everyone likes to eat a lot of protein or they get sick of it. Shakes make getting that protein in way easier.
- You can make more than shakes. Obviously that’s what this channel is about but if you’re bored of shakes you can use your powder to make delicious oatmeal recipes, healthier cheesecakes, pudding, pancakes, bars even your kids will love, and the list goes on.
- Because it’s real food. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say you should eat real food instead of drink a shake (#fakenews). Where do they think protein powder comes from? Whey protein for example, is the byproduct of the cheesemaking process and the last time I checked…cheese is real food. Now in the defense of those people who say it’s not real food, there are brands out there who pack their powders with a ton of artificial ingredients and fillers so just be careful with what you buy and always check out the ingredient list.
Protein I like (will always be updated with my favorite powders): https://shop.theproteinchef.co/collections/labrada-products