So you’re new to this whole gym thing. You might be nervous, you might be excited, you might be confused or you might even be all three! Well lets see if I can help you out a little bit. Here are 5 mistakes most beginners make before they open the door!
- They have no plan. They wake up and randomly decide that day that they finally wanna eat healthy and join a gym which is great, don’t get me wrong…something is better than nothing but it’s like throwing dirty and clean laundry in one pile and then deciding on what to wear that day, one day it’s just not gonna work. The solution? Find a plan you think you’ll like, follow it, create some goals, write everything down so you can gauge progression, and go from there. Hate it? Change it up. Love it? Keep it going. Having a plan makes things way easier and quicker than not having a plan.
- They over think everything. This goes hand in hand with the first one. I’m not saying everyone does this but a large majority of beginners either do #1 and don’t have a plan or they make things too complicated. This is all you need to know to start: Have a plan, track your calories lift some weights, do some cardio, and practice moderation…that’s it. Once you get in the habit of doing those things then you can work on the smaller details that don’t matter nearly as much. Ice cream is still great without the toppings.
- They think you need supplements. No, you don’t, at all…well there is ONE exception to this and that’s protein powder (just as long as it’s my protein). But seriously, the only supplement you will probably need IS protein because it’s pretty hard getting it in at first and it’s usually cheaper too so you’re not just throwing money away to look like someone who probably didn’t even take whatever they’re promoting.
- They give in to peer pressure. Don’t let people make you feel bad for changing your lifestyle. Sure, you might not be as “fun” anymore but you’re making a change to better yourself which in turn will make you feel better. Be selfish for a little bit and live your life for you. If it means skipping a few events or having a little less “fun” to reach your goals then so be it…the end result will teach you discipline, give you more energy, and overall just make you a happier person. People don’t like change but that doesn’t mean YOU can’t change.
- They don’t leave their ego at the door. Sure it’s great to be amped up and excited but do it the right way and don’t make it a competition with anyone else but yourself. Start slow or light, learn proper form, and work yourself into everything. Let your body adapt and week after week you’ll be able to push yourself harder.
There ya go. Hopefully these helped out a little bit! Post down below in the comments your favorite tip here or some other ones not mentioned! Stay healthy!!!