Something I love but always end up eating too much of? TRAIL MIX!!! Yeah, trail mix is awesome but the “good” stuff is usually overpriced for what you get and it’s almost always not too macro friendly. Today we’re gonna solve both of those with this Bodybuilding Protein Trail Mix Recipe that only takes a few minutes to prep!
For the purpose of the video above we start off with a bowl but usually I’ll just add everything right into a gallon Ziploc bag. You also don’t have to add all of these ingredients but here’s my preference and what turns out pretty macro friendly…1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup of dry roasted edamame, 1/4 cup of almonds, 1/4 cup of pistachios, 1/2 cup of a dried fruit (I like bananas), and PROTEIN CLUSTERS (the best part)! To make these protein clusters you’ll want to melt on the stovetop and mix together 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (use chunky!), 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, and 1 ounce of milk. After that’s done quickly mix in 1 scoop of protein powder (your choice flavor) and 1/2 cup of rolled oats.
To get your protein clusters from sticky to hard you’re just gonna shape them either with your hands or a spoon (big or small), put them on some parchment paper, and then into the freezer until hard. Combine everything into your Ziploc bag if you haven’t already and shake to mix.
I usually get around 10 servings out of this or just eat it all and pretend it was only 1 serving (you know you’ve been there).
To end this, what do you guys like in your trail mix? Maybe there’s something where you live that I wouldn’t think of! Let me know it in the comments below, I always like trying your suggestions.
Labrada Protein Powder here: http://bit.ly/2tKBmeG
Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Dry Roasted Edamame
- 1/4 Cup Almond
- 1/4 Cup Pistachios
- 1/2 Cup Dried Fruit
- Protein Clusters:
- 2 Tablespoons (32g) Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Ounce Milk or Milk Substitute
- 1 Scoop (38g) Protein Powder (I prefer 100% Whey or Lean Pro8)
- 1/2 Cup (40g) Rolled Oats
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 1640
- Fat: 84g
- Saturated Fat: 26g
- Sodium: 744mg
- Carbs: 131g (Net Carbs: 98g)
- Fiber: 33g
- Sugar: 31g
- Protein: 90g
Calories in each serving (if you make 10):
- Calories: 164
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Sodium: 74.4mg
- Carbs: 13.1g (Net Carbs: 9.8g)
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Protein: 9g
How to make:
- Make your Protein Clusters by melting and mixing your Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chips, and Milk together either in the microwave or on the stove
- Mix in your Protein Powder and Rolled Oats
- Shape your Protein Clusters however big you want them, place them on a baking sheet, and put them in the freezer until frozen
- Add all of your ingredients together (including your Protein Clusters) inside a bag and shake until mixed
- Use whatever kind of dried fruit you want (I like bananas)!
- Change up the flavor of your clusters by using another flavor protein powder!