P I T A…as an acronym you probably think that means pain in the ass. As a word, to me, it means it’s time to deliver a pizza DIRECTLY into my stomach. Some would say it’s peanut butter jelly time, I would say it’s pita pizza time…for breakfast!
Start by taking out some pita bread and now you have 2 options. The first option is to split your pita bread in half which will decrease baking time, give you a crispier pizza, and lower the carbs in the recipe (while still tasting great)! The next option is to obviously use the whole piece of pita bread and if you want it crispier you can bake it on 400F/204C for a few minutes before you put your toppings onto it. Both options are great but my preference is to use a whole piece of pita bread and throw all the toppings on first before it goes in the oven to give it a softer crust (but still a bit crispy)!
The ingredients listed below will make 2 pita pizzas so if you want more just double or triple the recipe to accommodate your diet!
Now take out a stove top pan, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and sauté some chopped up red onion and green pepper once your pan heats up for a couple minutes or until they soften. Once they soften (they’ll start to turn translucent) add in 1 large whole egg and 3 large egg whites and scramble them.
After that take out a baking pan and line it with some parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, put your pita bread onto it, and layer on 1/2 cup (125g) of a pasta or pizza sauce which should cover both pitas completely. Next evenly distribute 1 cup of spinach, your scrambled egg mix, 2 tablespoons (14g) of bacon bits, 1/4 teaspoon of oregano, and 1/2 cup (56g) of some reduced fat cheddar cheese. Bake your pita pizzas on 425F/218C for 7-10 minutes or until your cheese is melted!
Now these are the toppings that I like or at least that I was craving when I filmed this recipe. Whatever kind of sauce, cheese, vegetables, fruits, candy, rocks, toys, or other toppings YOU like are completely up to you to put on. Think outside the box, follow your cravings, and never give up pizza!!!
Check these out:
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mats:
Here is the recipe:
- 2 Pitas
- 1/2 Cup (125g) Pasta or Pizza Sauce
- 1 Cup Spinach (or Kale)
- Red Onion
- Green Pepper
- 1 Large Whole Egg
- 3 Large Egg Whites
- 2 Tablespoons (14g) Bacon Bits
- 1/4 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Cup (56g) Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese (or Other Cheese)
Calories in the WHOLE recipe (makes 2 Pita Pizzas):
- Calories: 821
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Sodium: 1306mg
- Carbs: 79g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 61g
Calories in each Pita Pizza:
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Sodium: 653mg
- Carbs: 39.5g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 30.5g
How to make:
- Chop up some Red Onion and Green Pepper
- Take out a stove top pan, add in your Olive Oil, and sauté your chopped up Red Onion and Green Pepper for a couple minutes or until they soften
- Mix together your Whole Egg and Egg Whites
- Add your egg mix into your pan and scramble it together
- Take out your Pitas and put them onto either a baking pan lined with parchment paper or some silicone baking mats
- Evenly distribute your Sauce followed by your Spinach, scrambled eggs, Bacon Bits, Oregano, and Cheddar Cheese
- Bake them on 425F/218C for 7-10 minutes or until your cheese is melted
- Top your pizzas with whatever you want, the choice is YOURS!
- Split your pita bread in half to significantly decrease the carbs in each pizza and give you a crispier crust!