Today we’re gonna bring this recipe back to middle school lunch. 2 words will get you back there…TATER…TOTS, remember those? Now lets pretend like the lunch lady was cooking for GAINS with this REALLY quick slow cooker meal prep recipe!
Five things that make life easier:
- Washing machine
- Garbage disposal
- Remote control
AND 5…the real MVP a SLOW COOKER. If I could only choose one of those 5, I would without second thought choose a slow cooker. The slow cooker I use (click here) was like 30 bucks and I’ve had it for YEARS. Not only that but it takes me about 10-15 minutes to prep a week worth of meals. You can’t beat that!!!
Link to my Slow Cooker: http://amzn.to/2kb3a6c
Now that you have a slow cooker, start off with a bag of tater tots. The ones I’m using in this recipe are literally the first ones I saw at my grocery store so if you don’t like this brand OR if you want a healthier option then look for an alternative like sweet potato tots which are just as good.
Add half of your tots into the bottom of your slow cooker then on top of those some reduced fat cheese (whatever kind you want, I prefer a Mexican blend). On top of the cheese bacon bits then which is optional a couple squirts of some hot sauce. In total you’ll use 1 1/2 cups of reduced fat cheese, 6 tablespoons of bacon bits, and a tablespoon or two of hot sauce.
Next chop up 3 pounds of chicken breast and add that on top of your first layer. If you don’t chop up your chicken breast they’ll take a bit longer to cook so keep that in mind. Repeat your cheese, bacon bits, and hot sauce on top of your chicken then again repeat your tots, cheese, bacon bits, and hot sauce with whatever you have left. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of a milk or milk substitute, cover it up, and last turn your slow cooker on high for around 4 hours. You could throw it on low for 6-8 hours if you want to but high will give you more of a crispy tater tot shell.
Shepherds pie, any cottage cheese recipe, oatmeal, and now this…meals that look like modern day art but taste amazing. Post some other examples of meals that look like this but taste great below!
Here is the recipe:
- 2 Pounds Tater Tots
- 1 1/2 Cups (168g) Reduced Fat Cheese (Your Choice)
- 6 Tablespoons (42g) Bacon Bits
- 1-2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce
- 3 Pounds (48 Ounces) Chicken Breast
- 1 1/2 Cups (12 Ounces) Milk or Milk Substitute
Calories in the WHOLE recipe:
- Calories: 2795
- Fat: 99g
- Saturated Fat: 31g
- Sodium: 2686mg
- Carbs: 197g = 175g NET CARBS!
- Fiber: 22g
- Sugar: 36g
- Protein: 279g
Calories in each serving (if you make 6):
- Calories: 465
- Fat: 16.5g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1g
- Sodium: 447.6mg
- Carbs: 32.8g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 46.5g
How to make:
- Add in half your bag of Tater Tots (1 Pound) to the bottom of your slow cooker
- Sprinkle on top of your Tater Tots some of your Cheese, Bacon Bits, and Hot Sauce
- Chop up your Chicken Breast and add your chopped up pieces into your slow cooker
- Top your pieces with some more of your Cheese, Bacon Bits, and Hot Sauce
- Add in the rest of your Tater Tots followed by the rest of your Cheese, Bacon Bits, and Hot Sauce
- Pour in your Milk
- Slow cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours
- Add in whatever sauces you want like barbecue, ranch, caesar, and so on!