Keep the donut in your diet but make it healthy with this Low Sugar Protein Donuts recipe! These high protein donuts are easy to make, have great macros, and are guaranteed to beat those unhealthy breakfast cravings.
Start this one by taking out either a really powerful blender or food processor. I used a food processor today, here’s a link to the one I’ve been using if you’re looking to purchase one yourself.
Add right into whatever you’re using 1 large whole egg, 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce, 1/2 of a ripe avocado, 2 large egg whites or 6 tablespoons of liquid egg whites, 4 tablespoons of your choice sweetener, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, and 1 scoop of a vanilla protein powder.
Blend or process everything together until your low sugar protein donuts mix is smooth.
Take out a donut pan like this, coat it with some non-stick cooking spray, and evenly distribute your mix into it. Make sure not to cover the flat portion of eat donut spot as this will be your donut hole. If you do cover it by accident, use a spoon to wipe it off.
You can optionally top your donuts or add into your mix before the oven some crushed up nuts, sugar free chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, coconut flakes, chopped up fruit, sprinkles, etc.
Put your low sugar protein donuts into the oven on 350F/176C for around 10-12 minutes.
Remove your donuts from the oven and get ready to frost them!
Add into a large mixing bowl 2 ounces of fat free cream cheese, 1/2 container of a vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop of a vanilla protein powder, and 1 tablespoon of your choice sweetener.
Mix all of those ingredients together until you have your desired protein frosting consistency.
Top your low sugar protein donuts with your frosting and anything else you want. Let us know what creative and healthy ways you make this recipe in the comments below.
Don’t like this frosting? Try some of our Peanut Butter Protein Frosting!
Pro tip? Mix and match all the flavors in the recipe to create different flavor donuts and frosting.
Low Sugar Protein Donuts
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- ½ Cup Rolled Oats - 40g
- 4 Tablespoons Sweetener
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder - 30g Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce - 122g
- ½ Avocado
- 1 Large Whole Egg
- 6 Tablespoons Liquid Egg Whites - 92g (or 2 Large Egg Whites)
- Chocolate Chips - Sugar Free *Optional
- ½ Scoop Protein Powder - 15g Vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetener
- 2 Ounces Cream Cheese - 56g Fat Free
- 2.65 Ounces Greek Yogurt - 75g Fat Free Vanilla
- Combine all of your ingredients for the Donuts into either a food processor or blender
- Process/blend everything together
- Take out your Donut pan and coat it with some non-stick cooking spray
- Add in your mix to each spot being careful not to cover the center piece (this is what creates the hole)
- Top with some Chocolate Chips or anything else you want
- Bake on 350F/176C for 10-12 minutes
- Add all of the Frosting ingredients into a bowl
- Mix them together until smooth
- Add your Frosting to your Donuts
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 417mg
- Carbs: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 27g
- Calories: 574
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 386mg
- Carbs: 45g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: 12g
- Protein: 49g