This Quick BBQ Pulled Chicken recipe can be made in less than 20 minutes, is packed with flavor, high in protein, and great for meal prep! Are you ready to make your new favorite healthy BBQ chicken recipe!?
Start this recipe by taking out a large stock pot like this one. Since everything is going in the same place, this is pretty much the only thing you’ll need outside of a mixing spoon and something to shred your chicken with.
Add right into your pot 2 1/2 pounds of fat trimmed chicken breast, 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 10 tablespoons of a low sugar bbq sauce, 4 cloves of garlic, 4 tablespoons of a low sugar ketchup, 1 chopped up red onion, and a pinch of black pepper.
Mix everything up together good.
Make sure while you’re mixing everything that your chicken is at least almost submerged. If it’s not, you can add in a little bit more water (1-2 ounces at a time) until it is.
Bring your pot over to your stove and put your burner on medium-high heat. Keep it here until it starts to boil while occasionally stirring/flipping around your chicken breast.
Once it starts to boil, turn your burner down to low-medium and let your quick bbq pulled chicken simmer for 15-20 minutes.
BBQ Pulled Chicken Shredding
Last, shred your chicken with 2 forks. Pulling your forks away from each other should be fairly easy if your chicken is cooked.
Let it simmer one more time for an additional 5-10 minutes after shredding.
Pro tip? If your chicken is over or undercooked it’s going to be harder to shred. Keep an eye on it while it’s simmering to prevent this from happen.
Take it off the heat and prepare your quick bbq pulled chicken sandwich! My favorite way to eat this recipe? My favorite bun, some low sugar bbq sauce, and some cheese! Let me know your favorite variations in the comments below.
Ready for an even quicker healthy and high protein dessert? Try The Best Protein Energy Balls Ever!
Quick BBQ Pulled Chicken
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 2 ½ Pounds Chicken Breast
- 4 Ounces Water
- 4 Ounces Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Cloves Garlic - or 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 4 Tablespoons Ketchup - Low Sugar
- 10 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce - Low Sugar
- 1 Red Onion - Chopped
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- Trim the fat off of your Chicken Breast
- Chop up your Red Onion and combine all of your ingredients into a stovetop pan
- Turn your burner on Medium-High Heat
- Bring your mix to a boil while occasionally stirring and flipping over your chicken
- Once your mix starts to boil, reduce your heat to Low-Medium
- Simmer for around 15-20 minutes
- After 15-20 minutes, take two forks and shred your chicken either while it’s in the pan or on a separate plate
- Let your shredded chicken simmer for another 5-10 minutes
- Calories: 1654
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 1504mg
- Carbs: 105g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 68g
- Protein: 241g
- Calories: 206
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated Fat: .6g
- Sodium: 188mg
- Carbs: 13.1g
- Fiber: .2g
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Protein: 30.1g