Summer’s over, pumpkin season has arrived, and our slow cooker is back in commission. Today we reinvent a classic in it with this delicious Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese recipe that’s packed with protein!
Start with this one by adding into your slow cooker 12 ounces of plain Greek yogurt, 2 large egg whites, 1-2 cups of milk, 6 tablespoons of parmesan cheese, 6 ounces of a low sodium buffalo sauce, 2 optional teaspoons of corn starch, 1/4 teaspoon of ground mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of onion salt, 14 ounces of your favorite mac & cheese pasta, and 3 cups of shredded cheese, I went with cheddar jack.
Mix all of those ingredients together thoroughly.
How do you know how much milk to use? Easy! If it doesn’t look like your pasta is “wet” after mixing everything together then add more in! Alternatively if you want a “thinner” mac & cheese you can add even more in.
You could also use bone broth here instead of milk to save some calories and carbs in the recipe, it won’t change the result too much.
Why corn starch? It helps thicken up your buffalo chicken mac & cheese! If you don’t like it “thick” then don’t add it!
Keep in mind that you can add whatever seasonings, herbs, spices, and so on you want to this. Here are some of my favorites to add in…
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese Variations
- Garlic or Onion Powder
- Garlic or Onion Salt (favorite!)
- Cayenne Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Ground Mustard (favorite!)
Let us know some of your favorite combinations in the comments below!
Finish this off by mixing in 1 1/2 pounds of a cooked protein. This could be tuna (don’t sleep on it!), ground beef or turkey, or some rotisserie chicken like we used today.
Once your protein is mixed in put your slow cooker on low heat for around 2-3 hours. Cooking time will vary depending on the pasta you use so keep an eye on it and remember how long it takes for next time.
Pro tip? Give it a quick mix every so often to assure everything cooks evenly.
You’ll know your slow cooker buffalo chicken mac & cheese is done when it looks like this…
Ready for dessert? Pair this with some delicious Pumpkin Protein Brownies!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 12 Ounces Greek Yogurt - Plain
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1-2 Cups Milk - or Broth (Add enough to where it doesn't look "dry" or more if you want it thinner)
- 6 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- 6 Ounces Buffalo Sauce - Low Sodium
- 2 Teaspoons Corn Starch - *Optional to thicken
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Mustard - *Optional add in whatever seasonings spices, or herbs you want
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Salt - *Optional add in whatever seasonings spices, or herbs you want
- 14 Ounces Pasta - Your choice
- 3 Cups Cheese - Shredded – I used Cheddar Jack
- 1 ½ Pounds Rotisserie Chicken - or Other Cooked Protein (Beef, Turkey, Tuna, etc)
- Add all of your ingredients aside from your Chicken into your slow cooker
- Mix everything together
- Add and mix in your Chicken
- Let it cook on Low Heat for around 2 hours or longer depending on the Pasta you used while occasionally mixing everything around (if possible)
- Calories: 3954
- Fat: 122g
- Saturated Fat: 47g
- Sodium: 6320mg
- Carbs: 326g
- Fiber: 40g
- Sugar: 38g
- Protein: 388g
- Calories: 494
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Sodium: 790mg
- Carbs: 40.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 4.7g
- Protein: 48.5g