Take your chicken meal prep up a notch with a Healthy Quinoa Chicken Parmesan! This high protein dinner recipe is not just easy to make but it’s super filling and packed with parm flavor.
Start this one out by preparing your quinoa. We’re making ours on the stovetop today but if you’ve got a microwavable pack then you can do that now.
To make your quinoa on the stovetop you’ll need to take out a stovetop pan. The size of your pan will depend on how much you’re making (medium size for me).
Add into your pan 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water. If you’re scaling this recipe to make more or less servings you can see how much you’ll need in the recipe card below.
Bring your pan over to the stovetop and turn your burner on high heat until it starts to boil. This should take a couple minutes.
Once boiling, drop your heat to low and let it simmer for around 15-20 minutes or until all of your water has been absorbed by your quinoa.
Chicken Parmesan Sauce
Take out a large stovetop pan, turn your burner on medium heat, and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil into your pan.
Once your pan heats up add in 3 cloves of chopped garlic or 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic and 1 medium chopped up red onion. Let those cook while occasionally stirring them for a couple minutes or until they start to brown.
Drop your heat to low-medium and mix in 1 can of no salt added diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of basil, 1/2 teaspoon of parsley, your cooked quinoa, and 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast chopped into small pieces.
When buying your ingredients make sure to look for lower sodium alternatives if you want to lower the sodium in this recipe.
Remember to keep stirring your sauce as you make it so that it doesn’t burn!
However big or small you want your chicken pieces to be is completely up to you. Keep in mind that if you make them big it may take longer for this healthy quinoa chicken parmesan to cook.
Let that chicken parmesan sauce simmer for 5 minutes.
Pro tip? All of the weights for the ingredients in this are in the recipe card below.
Last before the oven, coat a baking dish with some non-stick cooking spray and pour 1/2 the sauce you just made into the bottom of it.
On top of your sauce evenly distribute 1/2 serving of whole wheat bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of fat free mozzarella cheese, a little bit of parsley, and 1/4 cup of parmesan grated cheese.
Add in the rest of your mix and repeat with your bread crumbs, mozzarella, parsley, and parmesan.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Cover your baking dish with aluminum foil and put your baking dish into the oven on 375F/190C for 15 minutes.
Remove your foil after 15 minutes and continue cooking on 375F/190C for 15 minutes.
You can easily change this recipe up by adding in whatever toppings, vegetables, herbs, or anything else you want! Let us know some of your favorite combinations in the comments below.
Ready for dessert? How about some Protein Pumpkin Pie!?
Healthy Quinoa Chicken Parmesan
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 ½ Pounds Chicken Breast
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 16 Ounces Water
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic - 1 ½ Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes - 14.5 Ounces No Salt Added
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce - 15 Ounces
- ¼ Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Basil
- ½ Teaspoon Parsley
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese - Fat Free or Reduced Fat
- ⅓ Cup Bread Crumbs - Whole Wheat
- ½ Cup Parmesan & Romano Cheese - Grated
- Add your Quinoa and Water into stovetop pan
- Bring the Quinoa to a boil
- Turn your burn to Low heat
- Let it simmer until all of your Water is absorbed
- Remove it from the heat
- Chop up your Red Onion and Garlic
- Take out another stovetop pan, turn your burner on Medium heat, and add in your Olive Oil
- Let the Olive Oil heat up
- Add in your Red Onion and Garlic
- Once those start to brown, turn your burner on Low-Medium heat
- Add in your Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Crushed Red Pepper, Lemon Pepper, Oregano, Basil, Parsley, Quinoa, and Chicken
- Let that simmer for 5 minutes
- Take out a baking dish and coat it with non-stick cooking spray
- Add in half of your mix
- Top that with ½ your Bread Crumbs, Mozzarella, and Parmesan
- Add in the rest of your mix
- Top again with the same ingredients and anything else you want
- Cover with foil and cook on 375F/190F for 15 minutes
- Remove foil and cook for another 15 minutes
- Calories: 2256
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Sodium: 4906mg
- Carbs: 213g
- Fiber: 27g
- Sugar: 26g
- Protein: 279g