In the spirit of giving since it’s the holiday season, lets give you guys some LOW CARB SANTA HATS! These hats are gluten free, absolutely delicious, and PACKED with protein!
Two bowls! One for your cake mix and a smaller one for your frosting. In the bigger bowl add in 1 cup of almond flour, 1/2 cup of coconut flour, 2 scoops of my Baking Protein Powder (hint: this is a great gift this time of the year if you know someone in need of 1 1/2 pounds of whey protein powder that has no artificial ingredients or fillers for less than $20), 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 5 large egg whites, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 3 ounces of milk substitute, 1/4 cup of a sweetener, 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum which is GREAT gluten free binder in recipes like this, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Mix those ingredients together until smooth! If you’re mix seems to be a bit too thick then add in a little more milk substitute but the end result should still be pretty thick. Next take out a cupcake or muffin pan and some paper or silicone cups to line it with and evenly distribute your mix, filling your cups almost all the way to the top. If you don’t use all your spots remove the extra liners. Last throw them in the oven on 350F/176C for around 20-25 minutes.
Now while those are baking we’ll make our frosting. In the smaller bowl mix together 1/2 cup of a fat free fat cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 2-3 tablespoons of a sweetener!
Once your timer goes off, remove the little cakes and let them cool. After around 10 minutes top each one with some of your frosting, a strawberry, and a mini marshmallow which will stick to the top by using a little more frosting (it acts like glue). Make sure to cut a little “shelf” for your marshmallow into your strawberry.
The total NET CARBS in the whole recipe is only 53 which brings each cake to around 5 grams of carbs. Net carbs are total carbs minus fiber since fiber isn’t digested.
With that said let me know some other recipes you guys wanna see me put a holiday spin on in the comments below!
Here is the recipe for the cakes:
- 1 Cup (112g) Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup (56g) Coconut Flour
- 2 Scoops (60g) The Protein Chef’s Baking Protein Powder
- 4 Tablespoons (20g) Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 5 Large Egg Whites
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3 Ounces Milk or Milk Substitute
- 1/4 Cup Sweetener
- 1/2 Teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup (120g) Fat Free Cream Cheese
- 1 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sweetener
- Mini Marshmallows
Calories in the WHOLE recipe:
- Calories: 1564
- Fat: 84g
- Saturated Fat: 24g
- Sodium: 1090mg
- Carbs: 89g Net Carbs = 53g
- Fiber: 36g
- Sugar: 17g
- Protein: 117g
Calories in each hat (if you make 10):
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Sodium: 109mg
- Carbs: 8.9g Net Carbs = 5.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Protein: 11.7g
How to make:
- Melt your Butter and add all of your ingredients for the cakes into a large bowl
- Mix everything together (add in a little bit more milk if it’s too thick)
- Add in some liners into a muffin/cupcake pan and evenly distribute your mix into them filling them almost all the way to the top
- Bake them on 350F/176C for 20-25 minutes
- Mix all of your frosting ingredients together
- Once your cakes cool top them with your frosting
- Cut a bunch of Strawberries on both sides so that they are flat and place them onto your cakes with the large side down
- Add a little frosting onto the top of each Strawberry (this acts like glue)
- Place a Mini Marshmallow on top
- Find lower sodium ingredients (I didn’t) to lower the sodium drastically!
- Add nuts, chocolate chips, or anything else into your mix/on top!