In the spirit of giving since it’s the holiday season, lets give you guys some LOW CARB SANTA HATS! These chocolate cake hats are gluten free, absolutely delicious, and PACKED with protein!
Ready? Take out two bowls! One for your protein cake mix and a smaller one for your protein frosting.
Protein Santa Chocolate Cupcakes Mix
In the bigger bowl, add in 1 cup of almond flour, 1/2 cup of coconut flour, 2 scoops of protein powder, 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 5 large egg whites, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 3 ounces of milk substitute, 1/4 cup of a sweetener, 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum (amazing gluten free binder), 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Mix those ingredients together until smooth. You can optionally lightly mix in anything else you want your protein Santa cupcakes to have now.
If your mix seems to be a bit too thick, add in a little more milk substitute. The end result should still be pretty thick however.
Next, take out a cupcake or muffin pan and some paper or silicone cups to line it with. These silicone cups here work AWESOME!
Evenly distribute your mix into your spots, filling your cups almost all the way to the top. If you don’t use all your spots just remove the extra liners.
Put those in the oven on 350F/176C for around 20-25 minutes.
While those are baking we’ll make our protein frosting in the smaller bowl. All you need to do for this is mix together 1/2 cup of a fat free fat cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 2-3 tablespoons of a sweetener. That’s it!
Once your timer goes off, remove the protein protein Santa chocolate cupcakes and let them cool.
After around 10 minutes top each one with some of your frosting, a strawberry, and a mini marshmallow. The marshmallow should stick to the top by using a little more protein frosting (it acts like glue).
Make sure to cut a little “shelf” for your marshmallow into your strawberry.
The total NET CARBS in the whole recipe is only 53 grams which brings each cake to around 5 grams of carbs. Net carbs are total carbs minus fiber since fiber isn’t digested. Not too shabby, eh?
With that said, you can easily change up your protein Santa chocolate cupcakes by adding in or on top nuts, chocolate chips, and so on. Let me know some of your variations down below!
Try our delicious White Chicken Chili recipe next!
Protein Santa Chocolate Cupcakes
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- ½ Cup Cream Cheese - Fat Free
- 1 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sweetener
- Mini Marshmallows
- Melt your Butter and add all of your ingredients for the cakes into a large bowl
- Mix everything together (add in a little bit more milk if it’s too thick)
- Add in some liners into a muffin/cupcake pan and evenly distribute your mix into them filling them almost all the way to the top
- Bake them on 350F/176C for 20-25 minutes
- Mix all of your frosting ingredients together
- Once your cakes cool top them with your frosting
- Cut a bunch of Strawberries on both sides so that they are flat and place them onto your cakes with the large side down
- Add a little frosting onto the top of each Strawberry (this acts like glue)
- Place a Mini Marshmallow on top
- Calories: 1564
- Fat: 84g
- Saturated Fat: 24g
- Sodium: 1090mg
- Carbs: 89g Net Carbs = 53g
- Fiber: 36g
- Sugar: 17g
- Protein: 117g
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Sodium: 109mg
- Carbs: 8.9g Net Carbs = 5.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Protein: 11.7g