Today is the day you you make your favorite unhealthy restaurant dessert healthy! This Protein Molten Lava Cake recipe is super easy to make, packed with diet friendly macros, and oozes all the right chocolate flavors!
For these molten lava cakes you’re going to need a large mixing bowl and a couple ramekins.
Add right into your mixing bowl 3 ounces of unsweetened milk substitute, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce, 1 scoop of a chocolate protein powder, 1 tablespoon of your choice sweetener, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, 1/2 tablespoon of melted coconut oil, and 1/2 cup of rolled oats turned into oat flour.
Turn your rolled oats into homemade oat flour all you need to do is process or blend them until they look like flour. Simple, right?
Mix everything together until all of your protein molten lava cake ingredients are well incorporated.
Did you know that unsweetened apple sauce is a great substitute for butter or oil in most baking recipes?
Take out and coat your ramekin(s) with some non-stick cooking spray. The ramekins I used were 1 cup each.
Fill each ramekin up about half of the way with your mix.
Using a spoon, add 1 tablespoon of sugar free jelly to the center of each protein molten lava cake. I went with strawberry jelly today but use whatever flavor you want. You could also switch it up with Greek yogurt, pudding, or anything else you can think of.
Top your jelly or whatever you’re using with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar free chocolate chips. Again, switch it up and use anything else you can think of/your diet can afford. Other chips, nuts, raisins, sprinkles, etc.
Baked Molten Lava Cakes
Evenly distribute the the rest of your mix and put them into the oven on 350F/176C for around 13-16 minutes. This may take more or less time depending on the size ramekin you used and how many you make so keep can eye on them!
Remove them from the oven and top them! Sugar free chocolate syrup, fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, whipped cream, or even some of our Peanut Butter Protein Frosting all work great!
Let us know what creative fillings you use for these healthy lava cakes in the comments below.
Protein Molten Lava Cake
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 3 Ounces Milk Substitute - or Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetener
- ½ Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder - Chocolate
- 1 Teaspoon Instant Coffee
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chocolate Chips - Sugar Free
- 2 Tablespoons Jelly - Sugar Free Strawberry
- Turn your Rolled Oats into oat flour by blending or processing your oats until they look like flour
- Add all of your ingredients aside from your Chocolate Chips and Jelly into a bowl
- Mix everything together
- Take out 2 Ramekins and coat them with some non-stick cooking spray
- Fill each Ramekin up about halfway
- Add ½ of your Chocolate Chips and ½ of your Jelly to the center of each one
- Evenly distribute the rest of your mix to each Ramekin
- Bake on 350F/176C for 13-16 minutes
- Calories: 542
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Sodium: 289mg
- Carbs: 61g
- Fiber: 16g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 34g
- Calories: 271
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Sodium: 144.5mg
- Carbs: 30.5g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 17g