Take your pie game to dinner with this Protein Packed Burrito Pie! This high protein recipe is great for meal prep, PACKED with flavor, and takes just minutes to prep!
The first thing you’ll need to do is brown 1 1/2 pounds of either lean ground beef or turkey. Anything under 90/10 leanness you may need to drain, I personally like 93/7 for this one.
To brown your beef or turkey all you have to do is take out a stovetop pan, turn your burner on medium heat, and add your meat in once it heats up. Keep your meat moving as it cooks until it’s browned, this should only take a few minutes.
After your meat is browned add in 1/2 cup of a chopped red onion, 4 tablespoons of diced green chiles, 1 cup of diced tomatoes, 4 tablespoons of sliced olives, and 8 tablespoons of salsa.
Want a spicy protein packed burrito pie? Use a hot salsa and/or add in some chili sauce!
Mix all of those ingredients together.
Turn your burner down to low heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes while occasionally stirring it.
Take out at least a 9” round pie dish, coat it with some non-stick cooking spray, and add in 1 whole wheat tortilla to the bottom of it.
Pour half of your mix on top of your tortilla followed by 1/2 cup of black beans (drained & rinsed) and 1/2 cup of a Mexican cheese blend. If you don’t like or can’t find a Mexican cheese blend just use your favorite burrito cheese here!
Add another whole wheat tortilla on top of your cheese blend, the rest of your mix, another 1/2 cup of black beans, 8 tablespoons of salsa, and another 1/2 cup of a Mexican cheese blend.
Burrito Pie Cook Time
Throw your protein packed burrito pie 350F/176C for 25 minutes.
Take your protein packed burrito pie out after 25 minutes, cut it, and top it with some sour cream or anything else you like! Some of my other favorite toppings depending on my macros that day? Guacamole and more salsa!
You can eat this recipe by itself, with chips, in a tortilla, on a lettuce wrap, and so on. Think outside the box and you’ll have endless variations.
Room for dessert? How about a Protein Pumpkin Pie!?
Protein Packed Burrito Pie
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 ½ Pounds Ground Beef - 24 Ounces Lean (or Turkey)
- ½ Cup Red Onion
- 4 Tablespoons Olives - 32g Sliced
- 4 Tablespoons Green Chiles - 60g Diced
- 1 Cup Diced Tomatoes - 252g No Salt Added
- 16 Tablespoons Salsa - 244g
- 2 Tortillas - Whole Wheat
- 1 Cup Black Beans - 244g Reduced Sodium (or Any Other Bean)
- 1 Cup Mexican Cheese - 112g Reduced Fat (or Any Other Cheese)
- Take out a large stovetop pan, turn your burn on Medium-High, and let it heat up
- Once it heats up add in your Ground Beef or Turkey and brown it
- After you’ve browned it add in your Chopped Red Onion, Sliced Olives, Diced Green Chiles, Diced Tomatoes, and ½ of your Salsa
- Mix everything around, turn your burner on Low, and let it simmer for 15 minutes
- Take out at least a 9’’ round baking dish, coat it with some non-stick cooking spray, and add a Tortilla on the bottom of it
- On top of your tortilla put ½ of your mix, ½ of your Black Beans, and ½ your Cheese
- Add your last Tortilla on top of that layer, the rest of your mix, Black Beans, Salsa, and Cheese
- Bake on 350F/176C for 25 minutes
- Calories: 1815
- Fat: 59g
- Saturated Fat: 22g
- Sodium: 2109mg
- Carbs: 141g
- Fiber: 23g
- Sugar: 30g
- Protein: 180g
- Calories: 226
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Sodium: 263.6mg
- Carbs: 17.6g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Protein: 22.5g