It’s time that your strawberries and your shortcake were introduced to high protein and healthy! These Strawberry Shortcake Protein Cupcakes are low calorie, low carb, moist, and the best part? Just as good as the real thing!
Start this one off by taking out and chopping up 1 cup of fresh strawberries. If you’re using a food processor, skip this step and just leave a couple chopped up off to the side. You’ll mix these in later.
If you’re not using a food processor, take out a bowl big enough to add all of your strawberry shortcake protein cupcakes ingredients into.
Add in your fresh strawberries into whatever you’re using. I’m using a food processor today to speeds things up.
Continue by adding in 4 large eggs, 1/4 cup of unsweetened milk substitute, 1 scoop of some vanilla protein powder (strawberry works great too!), 1-2 tablespoons of your choice sweetener, 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1 can of drained & rinsed low sodium chickpeas.
Make sure to rinse your chickpeas good. The better you rinse them, the more neutral of a flavor they’ll be.
Don’t forget to leave a couple chopped up strawberries off the side. Leaving a couple off to the side will make sure your protein strawberry shortcake cupcakes have pieces of strawberries in them!
CHICKPEAS!? YES! Don’t be scared of using them (or really any white bean) in dessert recipes! For the most part, chickpeas have a pretty neutral flavor. This neutral flavor is easily masked by all of the other flavors in the recipe.
Mix or process your strawberry shortcake protein cupcakes mix together until smooth.
Once smooth, lightly mix in the rest of your chopped up strawberries you left off to the side.
Take out a muffin pan, put in some paper liners or silicone cups, and evenly distribute your protein cupcake mix into them. You’ll want to fill each cup about 3/4 of the way up.
Put them in the oven and bake your strawberry shortcake protein cupcakes on 350F/176C for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Top them with some protein frosting or whipped cream, crushed up low fat vanilla wafers to get your “shortcake“, and strawberry pieces!
Looking for a protein cupcake frosting? Use one of our easy to make Protein Frosting Recipes!
Strawberry Shortcake Protein Cupcakes
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Cup Strawberries - Chopped
- 4 Large Whole Eggs
- 2 Ounces Milk Substitute - or Milk
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder - Vanilla
- 1-2 Tablespoons Sweetener - Your Choice
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Can Chickpeas - 15 Ounces Low Sodium (or Any Other White Beans)
- Chop up your Strawberries (leave a few off to the side to add in later)
- Drain and rinse your Chickpeas
- Add all of your ingredients into a large bowl or to make things easy use a food processor
- Mix everything together until your mix is smooth/chickpeas are blended in
- Lightly mix in any chopped strawberries you left off to the side
- Take out a muffin pan and add some cupcake or silicone liners into it
- Evenly distribute your mix into each cup (it should make 12)
- Bake on 350F/176C 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of them comes out clean
- Calories: 1162
- Fat: 54g
- Saturated Fat: 34g
- Sodium: 1405mg
- Carbs: 94g
- Fiber: 30g
- Sugar: 18g
- Protein: 75g
- Calories: 96
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Carbs: 7.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Protein: 6.2g