HEY! It’s time! Time to take some strawberries and make something cool happen! Cake is cool, cupcakes are cool, protein packed, low calorie, and absolutely delicious recipes are cool…so lets combine all of those into one and make some Protein Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes!
Start off by taking out a large bowl big enough to add most of your ingredients into (or a food processor to make things REALLY quick). Next chop up 1 cup of strawberries and add them into your bowl or food processor. TIP: Put a few off to the side that you can lightly mix in later so that your cupcakes will have chunks of strawberries in them!
After that add in 4 large eggs, 1/4 cup or 2 ounces of almond milk, 1 scoop or 39 grams of some vanilla LeanPro 100% Whey protein powder, a couple tablespoons of your choice sweetener, 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons or 28 grams of coconut oil (make sure to melt it), 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1 can which is 15 ounces of drained and rinsed low sodium chickpeas. Mix everything together for a minute or two, lightly mix in any chopped strawberries you left off to the side, and then take out a muffin pan. Add some paper liners or silicone cups into your pan and evenly distribute your mix into them. Bake on 350F/176C for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Top them with some protein frosting or whipped cream, crushed up vanilla wafers, and strawberry pieces!
Before I end this post I wanna say one thing…DON’T BE SCARED OF USING CHICKPEAS IN A DESSERT RECIPE (or really any white bean for that matter)! For the most part they have a very neutral flavor that is easily masked by all the other flavors in the recipe. Seriously, these cupcakes are moist, have enough flavor to kill even the biggest sweet tooth, and are packed with protein!
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Cup Chopped Strawberries
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup (2 Ounces) Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or Regular Milk/Other Milk Substitute)
- 1 Scoop (39g) LeanPro 100% Whey Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons Your Choice Sweetener
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Can (around 15 Ounces) Low Sodium Chickpeas (or Any Other White Beans)
Calories in the WHOLE recipe:
- Calories: 1162
- Fat: 54g
- Saturated Fat: 34g
- Sodium: 1405mg
- Carbs: 94g
- Fiber: 30g
- Sugar: 18g
- Protein: 75g
Calories in each cupcake (makes 12):
- Calories: 96
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Sodium: 117mg
- Carbs: 7.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Protein: 6.2g
How to make:
- Chop up your Strawberries (leave a few off to the side to add in later)
- Drain and rinse your Chickpeas
- Add all of your ingredients into a large bowl or to make things easy use a food processor
- Mix everything together until your mix is “smooth/chickpeas are blended in
- Lightly mix in any chopped strawberries you left off to the side
- Take out a muffin pan and add some cupcake or silicone liners into it
- Evenly distribute your mix into each cup (it should make 12)
- Bake on 350F/176C 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of them comes out clean
- To make it a “shortcake cupcake” add a vanilla wafer on top of each one!
- Top it with some protein frosting or whipped cream!