So we’re on the road to creating everything and anything in our Slow Cooker. Today that road continues with these SUPER EASY and macro friendly Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes!
Start by heating up around a tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat in a pan on your stovetop. Once that heats up you’re gonna add in 1 chopped up green bell pepper, 1 chopped up red bell pepper, 1/2 a chopped up onion, and 2 teaspoons of minced garlic. You can choose to add in other vegetables if you want here but this is usually my go-to for this recipe. Go ahead and let those cook for a couple minutes.
Slow Cooker Liners: http://amzn.to/2H5kOQr
My Slow Cooker: http://amzn.to/2kb3a6c
After that add in 2 pounds of a lean ground beef or turkey and cook that until browned…make sure to break it up while doing this. A quick note here is if you use a lean enough meat, you won’t need to drain it but if there’s a lot of liquid leftover from using a fattier meat you’ll probably wanna drain it a bit. Now once that’s cooked take out your slow cooker, optionally add in liner to it, and add that mix in. By the way, I link my liners below in the description. Next add in 1 can of a low sodium tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic seasoning, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 4 tablespoons of a tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 teaspoons of mustard, a little black pepper, and a little salt. Mix all of those ingredients together until it looks like this then throw your lid on and let it cook on low for 4 hours.
NEW Meal Prep Containers: https://amzn.to/2HjwfWg
Kitchen Scale: http://amzn.to/2k8YrPt
A couple tips:
- If you don’t wanna precook your meat or vegetables you can just throw everything in your slow cooker and cook it on low for around 7-8 hours. Make sure to break your meat up at some point!
- When you think of a sloppy joe you think of a nice big bun but really this mixture you can eat with anything. Use low carb wraps, make lettuce sloppy joes by adding your mixture into a big piece of lettuce and rolling it up, add in more vegetables, or just eat it by itself because it’s that good.
- I usually portion this out into 8 servings which come out to around 169g each.
Checkout my store: https://theproteinchef.co/store
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Chopped Onion
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 2 Pounds (32 Ounces) Lean Ground Beef or Turkey (I used 96/4)
- 1 Can (15 Ounces/425g) Low Sodium Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons (68g) Ketchup (Look for low sugar)
- 4 Tablespoons (66g) Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons (42g) Honey
- 2 Teaspoons (10g) Mustard
- A little Black Pepper
- A little Salt
How to make:
- Heat up your Olive Oil in a pan on Medium Heat
- Chop and cook your Bell Peppers, Onion, and Garlic in that pan for a couple minutes
- Add in and brown your Beef or Turkey
- Drain your Beef or Turkey mixture if you didn’t use a lean meat
- Throw a liner in your slow cooker for easy cleanup (if you have them)
- Add all of your ingredients including your meat mixture into your slow cooker
- Mix everything together
- Put your slow cooker on Low Heat for 4 hours
- Use whatever vegetables you want!
- Throw your mixture in a low carb or lettuce wrap!
- Don’t have time to cook your meat? Throw everything in your slow cooker raw and cook it on Low Heat for 7-8 hours!
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 1726
- Fat: 50g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 2934mg
- Carbs: 115g
- Fiber: 16g
- Sugar: 71g
- Protein: 204g
Calories in each 169g serving (if you make 8):
- Calories: 215
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Sodium: 366.7mg
- Carbs: 14.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 8.8g
- Protein: 25.5g