Today we take the slow cooker south to New Orleans! This healthy Slow Cooker Jambalaya recipe will not disappoint. It’s packed with protein, great for meal prep, and takes no time at all!
All you need to do for this slow cooker jambalaya? A slow cooker! Who could have guessed that?
Add into it 1 pound of chopped up chicken breast, 12 ounces of smoked turkey sausage, 2 cups of chopped up green bell peppers, 2 cups of chopped up celery, 1/4 cup of chopped up green onion, 3/4 cup of chopped up sweet onion, 2 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning, a couple dried or fresh bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 to 2 tablespoons of some chili sauce, 2 1/2 cups of a bone broth, and 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes.
Mix everything together.
Throw the lid on and leave that on high heat for around 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
After 4 hours or so add in 1 1/2 cups of uncooked brown rice and 12 ounces of frozen peeled shrimp. Don’t forget to remove the tails!
Mix those ingredients in.
Throw the cover back on and let it cook on high heat for an additional 30-45 minutes.
That’s it! Your healthy slow cooker jambalaya is done and it’s PACKED with protein!
This slow cooker jambalaya tastes just as good as it looks and it’s got just the right amount of kick to it.
If you want it a bit thicker, you can use a little less broth.
You can drain this a bit and use what you drained as a dressing on other things!
If the sodium seems a bit high to you or for some reason you need to lower it, just look for the lowest sodium alternatives to everything. You should be able to get it significantly lower between the sausage, broth, and sauce.
To meal prep this, I like to make 6 servings and each serving is around 20 ounces. I don’t usually weigh them, I just kind of evenly distribute everything into the containers and go from there.
The best part about about slow cookers recipes? You don’t have a million things to clean up after. Add everything into your slow cooker and wait.
Need another slow cooker meal prep idea? Try out Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe!
Easy Slow Cooker Jambalaya
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast - 16 Ounces
- 12 Ounces Turkey Sausage - Low Sodium Smoked
- 2 Cups Green Pepper - Chopped
- 2 Cups Celery - Chopped
- ¼ Cup Green Onion - Chopped
- ¾ Cup Sweet Onion - Chopped
- 2 ½ Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons Chili Sauce - or Hot Sauce
- 2 ½ Cups Bone Broth - Low Sodium (20 Ounces)
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes - Low Sodium (28 Ounces)
- 1 ½ Cups Rice - Uncooked Brown
- 12 Ounces Shrimp - Peeled/Frozen
- Chop up all of you vegetables, Chicken, and Turkey Sausage
- Combine and mix all of your ingredients together aside from your Brown Rice and Shrimp
- Cook on High for around 4-4 1/2 hours
- Remove the tails from your Shrimp
- Add in your Brown Rice and Shrimp
- Mix everything together again and cook on High for an additional 30 to 45 minutes
- Calories: 2756
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Sodium: 3702mg
- Carbs: 293g (Net Carbs = 259g)
- Fiber: 34g
- Sugar: 39g
- Protein: 279g
- Calories: 459
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Sodium: 617mg
- Carbs: 48.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Protein: 46.5g