Most of us would agree that quinoa is rather annoying to cook. Well today we’re gonna make that a bit easier with this EASY Southwestern Quinoa Casserole recipe! The best part? This recipe takes less time to prep than quinoa by itself!
Start by adding into a bowl 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans, some diced green chiles, 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn, 1 1/2 cups of frozen vegetables, however many sliced jalapeños you can handle, 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, 3 teaspoons of taco seasoning mix (look for low sodium), 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 1/4 cups broth, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 pound of a browned lean ground meat.
The meat is optional but will obviously balance out the macros a bit. Beef, turkey, or chicken all work great with this.
Mix all of those together and add that mix into a casserole dish. Put it in oven on 400F/204C for around 30-35 minutes or until your quinoa looks tender. There should be little to no liquid left.
Pull out your quinoa casserole and top it with 1 cup of a cheddar cheese. Throt it back in the oven on 400F/204C until your cheese is melted!
I usually portion this southwestern quinoa casserole out into 6 servings and each serving is around 300 grams.
To keep the sodium low in this quinoa casserole recipe just look for no salt added or lower sodium options. You should be able to find these for the diced tomatoes, black beans, bone broth, and taco seasoning mix fairly easy.
I hate frozen vegetables! Well, you can just as easily use fresh vegetables!. I use frozen most of the time for convenience and the frozen vegetable bags are always super cheap if you’re on a budget!
Do you want another delicious quinoa recipe? Try our Quinoa Chicken Parmesan recipe!
Southwestern Quinoa Casserole
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes 14.5 Ounces/411g
- 1 Can Black Bean 15.5 Ounces/439g Drained & Rinsed
- Green Chiles Your choice (Diced)
- 1 ½ Cups Corn Frozen
- 1 ½ Cups Mixed Vegetables Frozen
- Jalapeños Your choice (Sliced)
- 1 Cup Quinoa 172g Uncooked
- 3 Teaspoons Taco Seasoning Mix 12g
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ¼ Cups Bone Broth 10 Ounces
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Pound Ground Beef or Ground Turkey (Lean Preferred) 16 Ounces
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese 112g (Reduced/Fat Free Preferred)
- If you're using Meat, brown it
- Add and mix everything together aside from your Cheese in a bowl
- Pour that mix into a casserole dish
- Bake on 400F/204C for around 30-35 minutes or until your Quinoa is tender
- Remove and top with your Cheese
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes on 400F/204C or until your Cheese has melted
- Calories: 2294
- Fat: 54g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 3070mg
- Carbs: 251g
- Fiber: 51g
- Sugar: 35g
- Protein: 201g
- Calories: 382
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Sodium: 511.6mg
- Carbs: 41.8g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Protein: 33.5g