Alright…I know its been a couple years since I’ve made a recipe with quinoa so today we’ll change that. Yes, quinoa is rather annoying to cook but we’ll make that a bit easier today with this EASY Quinoa Casserole recipe that really takes less time to prep than quinoa by itself…
Start by adding into a bowl 1 can of diced tomatoes then 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans, some diced green chiles, 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn, 1 1/2 cups of frozen vegetables, however many sliced jalapeños you can handle, 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, 3 teaspoons of taco seasoning mix (look for low sodium), 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 1/4 cups broth, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1 pound of a browned lean ground meat (this is optional but will obviously balance out the macros a bit). Beef, turkey, or chicken all work great with this.
Kitchen Scale: http://amzn.to/2k8YrPt
Go ahead and mix all of those together then add that mix into a casserole dish and throw it in oven on 400F/204C for around 30-35 minutes or until your quinoa looks tender and there’s little to no liquid left. Once that happens pull it out, top it with 1 cup of a cheddar cheese, and throw it back in the oven until your cheese is melted!
A couple tips here:
- To keep the sodium low in this recipe just look for no salt added or lower sodium options. You should be able to find these for the diced tomatoes, black beans, broth, and taco seasoning mix fairly easy.
- On every recipe I make with frozen vegetables people always tell me to use fresh so yes, you can totally use fresh vegetables in this if you want to. I use frozen most of the time for convenience (the frozen vegetable bags are always super cheap too if you’re on a budget).
- I usually portion this out into 6 servings and each serving is around 300 grams.
NEW Meal Prep Containers: https://amzn.to/2HjwfWg
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Can (14.5 Ounces/411g) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can (15.5 Ounces/439g) Drained & Rinsed Black Bean
- Some Diced Green Chiles
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Corn
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Some Sliced Jalapeños
- 1 Cup (172g) Uncooked Quinoa
- 3 Teaspoons (12g) Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/4 Cups (10 Ounces) Broth
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Pound (16 Ounces) Lean Ground Browned Meat *Optional
- 1 Cup (112g) Cheddar Cheese (Reduced/Fat Free Preferred)
How to make:
- Add and mix everything together aside from your Cheese in a bowl
- Pour that mix into a casserole dish
- Bake on 400F/204C for around 30-35 minutes or until your Quinoa is tender
- Remove and top with your Cheese
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes on 400F/204C or until your Cheese has melted
- Use fresh vegetables if you don’t like frozen!
- Look for lower sodium alternatives to all of your ingredients!
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 2294
- Fat: 54g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 3070mg
- Carbs: 251g
- Fiber: 51g
- Sugar: 35g
- Protein: 201g
Calories in each 300g serving (if you make 6):
- Calories: 382
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Sodium: 511.6mg
- Carbs: 41.8g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Protein: 33.5g