We’re taking it back to breakfast with one of the most delicious slow cooker recipes to date. These Steel Cut Slow Cooker Cinnamon Buns will make your mouth water and keep your macros happy!
Start this one by taking out your slow cooker and optionally lining it to save time cleaning up with a slow cooker liner (link below).
Add into your slow cooker 1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats, 3 tablespoons of almond flour, 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon, 4 scoops of a vanilla protein powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, a little salt, 2 large beaten whole eggs, 6 cups of milk or milk substitute, 2 containers of a vanilla Greek yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
Mix all of those up until most of your clumps are gone, this shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes.
Open up your favorite cinnamon bun dough, preferably a lower sugar/lower calorie one and break up 2 or 3 them into your mix.
Lightly mix those pieces in, pour a little sugar free syrup on top, and cover your slow cooker
Cook your slow cooker cinnamon buns on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
Keep an eye on your slow cooker cinnamon buns every so often and make sure that they aren’t burning!
Here’s a couple of my tips for these slow cooker cinnamon buns:
- I usually portion them one out into 6 servings and each serving has over 30 grams of protein.
- They taste great either cold or heated up in the microwave (1-2 minutes).
- If your macros will allow for it, top your dish with some cinnamon crunch cereal.
Ready for a slow cooker dinner? Try our Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu next!
Steel Cut Slow Cooker Cinnamon Buns
What We Used
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 ½ Cups Steel Cut Oats
- 3 Tablespoons Almond Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Scoops Protein Powder - Use a flavor that compliments the Cinnamon Bun Dough
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Salt - Just a little!
- 2 Large Whole Eggs - Beaten
- 48 Ounces Milk Substitute - or Milk
- 2 Containers Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Butter - Melted
- 2-3 Pieces Cinnamon Bun Dough
- Syrup - Sugar Free
- Optionally line your slow cooker then add everything aside from your Cinnamon Bun Dough and Sugar Free Syrup into it
- Mix everything together until most of your clumps are gone
- Break apart your Cinnamon Bun Dough and lightly mix it in
- Top with your Sugar Free Syrup
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
- Calories: 2496
- Fat: 72g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 2525mg
- Carbs: 270g (Net Carbs: 230g)
- Fiber: 40g
- Sugar: 38g
- Protein: 192g
- Calories: 416
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 420.8mg
- Carbs: 45g (Net Carbs: 38.3g)
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Protein: 32g
I use a slow cooker because I’m old fashioned and slow is always good :-). I also use it because it makes my house smell good and I don’t have to pay so much attention to what is being cooked. I’ve never used a liner though, I am going to try with this recipe. The one problem I have with this recipe is the sugar free maple syrup, I am leary of sugar free because usually there’s a substitute involved is there another alternative. I know nothing about macros; this looks amazing.