Inspiration for this recipe comes from our best from here in New England…Dunkin’ Donuts! Whenever I get a coffee there I’m always REALLY close to ordering either a Boston cream, some munchkins, or….a BLUEBERRY MUFFIN! Today we’re gonna get our coffee there and then make our own healthier macro friendly version of a blueberry muffin. Protein muffins in 3…2…1…
Start by adding in 3 large whole eggs followed by 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce, 1/2 cup of coconut flour, 1 1/2 scoops of Vanilla 100% Whey, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, an optional 1 tablespoon of a sweetener, and 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries.
Mix everything together until it looks like this (see video) and if yours comes out a little too thick just add an extra egg white or 2 in there and you should be good.
Next, go ahead an evenly distribute your mix into a muffin pan. Whether you line your spots is up to you and if you want mini or jumbo muffins, you can make those too. Top each one with a couple blueberries then throw them in the oven on 375F/190C for around 15-20 minutes or until you see them rise up.
So there you go…a healthier spin on the classic and usually overpriced blueberry muffin. With only around 130 calories a piece you can easily make a jumbo sized version with under 300! As for the taste…are you ready for it? It tastes like a blueberry muffin! Shocking!?
A couple tips I should throw out there:
- As long as you don’t bake them too long they won’t come out dry.
- Coconut flour is packed with fiber so for this recipe you end up with 24 grams of fiber which you then subtract from the total carbs in the recipe and you end up with 46 grams of carbs or around 7 1/2 grams per muffin. Not too bad!
- If you choose to prep these for the week toss them in the microwave for around 10-20 seconds and throw a little sliver of butter (don’t be scared of fat) on them. Mouth watering and delicious!
With that…thank you guys for watching and/or reading! Drop some comments below…
Labrada Protein Powder here: http://bit.ly/2tKBmeG
My Baking/Cooling Rack: http://amzn.to/2fVsZVd
Here is the recipe:
- 3 Large Whole Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup (113g/4 Ounces) Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/2 Cup (56g) Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 Scoops (57g) 100% Whey Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sweetener *Optional
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Blueberries
How to make:
- Combine and mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl (mix on low so you don’t “burst” all of your blueberries)
- Take out a muffin pan, line it (optional), and evenly distribute your mix into each spot
- Top each muffin with a couple blueberries and press them in
- Bake on 375F/190C for around 15-20 minutes
- If your mix is too thick, add in some egg whites!
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 784
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Sodium: 548mg
- Carbs: 70g (Net Carbs: 46g!)
- Fiber: 24g
- Sugar: 28g
- Protein: 63g
Calories in each muffin (if you make 6):
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Sodium: 91.3mg
- Carbs: 11.6g (Net Carbs: 7.6g)
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Protein: 10.5g