Today we bring back the slow cooker and we bring it back for good! This time we take it south to New Orleans and make a healthier version of JAMBALAYA that’s super easy to meal prep!!!
The best part about about slow cookers recipes? You don’t have a million things to clean up after, you just add everything into your slow cooker and wait.
Today you’re gonna add in 1 pound of chopped up chicken breast, 12 ounces of smoked turkey sausage, 2 cups of chopped up green bell peppers, 2 cups of chopped up celery, 1/4 cup of chopped up green onion, 3/4 cup of chopped up sweet onion, 2 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning, a couple dried or fresh bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 to 2 tablespoons of some K POP chili sauce, 2 1/2 cups of a chicken broth, and 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes. Go ahead and mix everything together, throw the lid on, and put it on high for around 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
After that add in 1 1/2 cups of uncooked brown rice and 12 ounces of frozen peeled shrimp (remove the tails!). Mix those ingredients in, throw the cover back on, and let it cook on high for an additional 30-45 minutes.
So there is your Slow Cooker Jambalaya! It tastes just as good as it looks and it’s got just the right amount of kick to it.
A couple little tips here:
- If you want it a bit thicker you can use a little less broth or when you’re done just drain it a bit and use what you drained as a dressing on other things!
- If the sodium seems a bit high to you or for some reason you need to lower it a bit, just look for the lowest sodium alternatives to everything. Between the sausage, broth, and sauce…you should be able to get it pretty low.
- To meal prep this, I like to make 6 servings and each serving is around 20 ounces. I don’t usually weigh them, I just kind of evenly distribute everything into 6 containers and go from there.
Check out/buy K POP today here: http://Bit.ly/KPOPsauce
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Pound (16 Ounces) Chicken Breast
- 12 Ounces Low Sodium Smoked Turkey Sausage
- 2 Cups Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Cups Chopped Celery
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onion
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Sweet Onion
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons K POP Sauce
- 2 1/2 Cups (20 Ounces) Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Can (28 Ounces) Low Sodium Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Brown Rice
- 12 Ounces Peeled Frozen Shrimp
How to make:
- Chop up all of you vegetables, Chicken, and Turkey Sausage
- Combine and mix all of your ingredients together aside from your Brown Rice and Shrimp
- Cook on High for around 4-4 1/2 hours
- Remove the tails from your Shrimp
- Add in your Brown Rice and Shrimp
- Mix everything together again and cook on High for an additional 30 to 45 minutes
- Want more kick? Add in more K POP!
Calories in the whole recipe:
- Calories: 2756
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Sodium: 3702mg
- Carbs: 293g (Net Carbs = 259g)
- Fiber: 34g
- Sugar: 39g
- Protein: 279g
Calories in each serving (around 20 ounces/6 servings):
- Calories: 459
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Sodium: 617mg
- Carbs: 48.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Sugar: 6.5g
- Protein: 46.5g