Low carb dinner is here this St. Patrick’s Day with our Healthy Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Packed with protein, keto friendly, made with common ingredients like cauliflower, and loaded with all the right flavors!
For this one you’ll need a mixing bowl, a food processor or blender, and something to bake your healthy shepherd’s pie in. If you don’t have a food processor, here’s a link to the one we’ve been using!
Add right into your mixing bowl 1 pound of lean ground beef or turkey (anything over 90/10), 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning or equivalent, and 2 large whole eggs.
Mix all of those ingredients together. I like using my hand to speed this step up.
Inside your food processor or blender add 1 large yellow onion, 1/2 large red onion, and 6 cloves of garlic or 3 teaspoons of minced garlic.
Process or blend those together for a few seconds.
Shepherd’s Pie Mix
Take out a stovetop pan, turn your burner on medium heat, and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Pour in the vegetable mix that you just made once it heats up and let it cook over medium heat for around 10 minutes. Make sure to keep it moving as it cooks!
Continue by adding in your ground meat mix and cooking that until your meat has browned. You’ll want to occasionally mix everything around to that it doesn’t burn while browning it.
Optionally add in some chili sauce to give it a kick and/or anything else you want to add for flavor.
Mix in 16 ounces of frozen mixed vegetables and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes or until most of the juice is gone.
Take out a baking dish and pour your mix in as the first layer. The size baking dish you use is completely up to you and how thick you want your healthy shepherd’s pie pieces. Keep in mind that the thicker your pie is, the longer it’ll take to cook.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
For the low carb mashed potato top layer you’re going to need 1 or 2 heads of cauliflower (I used 600g total).
Remove the leaves from your cauliflower heads and boil it on the stovetop until it starts to split apart with a fork.
Put your cooked cauliflower into your food processor with 1 table of butter or butter substitute. Process those until they look like cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Evenly distribute your potatoes as the top layer over your beef layer and sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top.
Put your healthy shepherd’s pie into the oven on 400F/204C for 25-30 minutes. Once your edges start to brown it should be done.
Wash this recipe down with a Protein Shamrock Shake!
Healthy Shepherd’s Pie
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef - Lean (or Ground Turkey)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Large Whole Eggs
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- ½ Large Red Onion
- 6 Cloves Garlic - or 3 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 16 Ounces Mixed Vegetables
- 2 Heads Cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1-2 Tablespoons Chili Sauce - Sriracha *Optional
- Mix together your Ground Beef, Eggs, Salt, Black Pepper, and Italian Seasoning
- Process or blend together your Onions and Garlic
- Add your Olive Oil to a large stovetop pan and turn your burner on Medium heat
- Cook your Onion mix for around 5-10 minutes
- Add in your Ground Beef mix and cook that until browned
- Once browned add in your Mixed Vegetables and Sriracha
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until your juice is gone
- Place your mix into a baking dish
- Cook your Cauliflower
- Process or blend it with your Butter until it looks like mashed potatoes
- Evenly distribute that on top of your meat layer in the baking dish
- Add whatever you want to the top of it (Italian Seasoning)
- Cook in on 400F/204C for 25-30 minutes
- Calories: 1563
- Fat: 67g
- Saturated Fat: 27g
- Sodium: 1296mg
- Carbs: 108g
- Fiber: 32g
- Sugar: 42g
- Protein: 132g