Ready for one of my favorite seasonal recipes? These Mini Sweet Potato Protein Cupcakes are healthy, delicious, packed with complex carbs, and low in sugar! Did I mention they’re topped with a super easy to make brown sugar protein frosting!?
To start this one you’re going to need to cook 1 pound worth of sweet potatoes. There’s a couple ways to do this but we’re going to keep it simple today and use our microwave.
To cook your sweet potato in the microwave all you need to do is peel it, poke it a few times with a fork, microwave it for 3 1/2 minutes, flip it, and microwave it again for 3 1/2 minutes. Easy, right?
Diet tip? Leave the skin on the sweet potato for more fiber in your recipe!
Also keep in mind that it may take more or less time depending on how big your sweet potato is and how powerful your microwave is.
Sweet Potato Protein Cupcakes
Continue by adding into a food processor or powerful blender 3 large whole eggs, 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons of coconut flour, 1/2 cup of almond flour, 2 scoops of a vanilla protein powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of light brown sugar, and your cooked sweet potato.
Cover and process or blend until everything is smooth.
Take out some silicone cups, a mini muffin pan, or whatever you want to make these in and coat it with some non-stick cooking spray.
Evenly distribute your mix into whatever you’re using and bake your sweet potato protein cupcakes on 350F/176C for 15-20 minutes. Not sure if they’re done? Do the toothpick test!
What’s the toothpick test? If your toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into the center of whatever you’re baking, it’s done!
Protein Frosting Recipe
Add into a bowl 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1 container of vanilla Greek yogurt or other complimenting flavor, 2 teaspoons of light brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Mix those together until your protein frosting forms.
Remove your sweet potato protein cupcakes from your silicone cups or pan and top them with your frosting!
Pro tip? Toss on a couple mini marshmallows and hit them with a food torch for a couple seconds.
Love sweet potato? Make our Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Stew next!
Mini Sweet Potato Protein Cupcakes
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Pound Sweet Potato - or Pumpkin
- 3 Large Whole Eggs - or 6 Large Egg Whites
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce - or 1 Banana
- 2 Scoops Protein Powder - Vanilla
- ½ Cup Almond Flour
- 6 Tablespoons Coconut Flour - or Oat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese - Fat Free
- 5.3 Ounces Greek Yogurt - Fat Free Vanilla
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Light Brown Sugar
- Cook your Sweet Potato
- To quickly cook it in the microwave all you have to do is peel it, poke it a few times with a fork, put it in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes, flip it over, and microwave it again for 3 1/2 minutes
- Take out a food processor and add all of the ingredients for your cakes into it
- Process everything together
- Coat a pan or silicone cups with some non-stick cooking spray
- Evenly distribute your mix into them
- Bake on 350F/176C for 15-20 minutes
- Take out a bowl, add all of your Frosting ingredients into it, and mix all of those together until it starts to get fluffy
- Once your cakes cool top them with your Frosting
- Calories: 1651
- Fat: 47g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Sodium: 1518mg
- Carbs: 171g
- Fiber: 26g
- Sugar: 47g
- Protein: 136g
- Calories: 137
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 126.5mg
- Carbs: 14.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Protein: 11.3g