Ready for some healthy adult chocolate milk? This Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake recipe is the perfect balance of healthy fats, complex carbs, and protein after the gym! The best part? It actually tastes like a milkshake and you only need a few ingredients to make it!
All you need to make this one is a blender. You could just use a shaker bottle but you won’t get the same consistency.
Add directly into your blender 1 1/2 cups of a milk substitute, 1 scoop of your favorite chocolate protein powder, 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and 1 tablespoon of melted dark chocolate chips.
Why cocoa powder? Not only is it delicious but it’s packed with around 2 grams of fiber per serving and CHEAP!
You can easily melt your chocolate chips by microwaving them for short periods of time and mixing them until melted. This time depends on how powerful your microwave is but a good starting point is anywhere from :15-:30 seconds.
Go ahead now and blend everything together until smooth.
Pour your post-workout chocolate milkshake into your favorite protein milkshake cup and top it with some healthier chocolate syrup!
Protein Chocolate Milkshake Variations
A couple ways I like to switch this one up:
- Sugar free chocolate chips instead of dark to lower the sugar
- Flavored milk substitute
- Vanilla protein powder instead of chocolate (or both combined!)
For those of you who passionately hate cottage cheese like I once did…DON’T! Not only is it one of the cheapest sources of protein (at least where I live), it’s incredibly versatile. Lasagna, oatmeal, cheesecake, and so much more! Some of my favorite benefits?
Benefits of Cottage Cheese
- Packed with protein (10-15g per serving!)
- Slow digesting with casein protein that keeps you full longer (great before bed)
- Adds thickness to the shakes like this
- Taste is easily masked with other flavors
Pair this protein milkshake with some of our delicious Protein Low Carb Blueberry Pancakes!
Post-Workout Chocolate Milkshake
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 12 Ounces Milk Substitute - or Milk
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder - Chocolate
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Cottage Cheese - Fat Free
- 1 Tablespoon Chocolate Chips - Dark
- Melt your Chocolate Chips
- Combine all of your ingredients into a blender
- Blend everything together
- Calories: 558
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 402mg
- Carbs: 54g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: 15g
- Protein: 54g