Guess what? Another week has gone by and that means we continue with the tradition of #SlowCookerSunday. Today we break out a sponsor and it’s one I think you’re gonna like that compliments #SlowCookerSunday almost as good as a slow cooker…Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth! With the help of this broth we’re gonna make this absolutely delicious and super easy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup that’s great for meal prep and PACKED with great macros!
Start this one by browning 2 pounds of lean ground beef or turkey. You could also use chicken, just make sure you cook it and either shred or break it up first.
Now get out your slow cooker, optionally line it for easy clean up, and then add in whatever meat you’re using. Follow that with 1 can of enchilada sauce, 1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes, 1 can of chopped green chile peppers, 1 chopped up yellow onion, 1 package of frozen corn, some cilantro, 1 can of drained & rinsed black beans, 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder, a little salt & black pepper, 1-2 bay leaves, and 4 cups of your choice Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth. Pair it with your meat so if you’re using turkey like I am today, use turkey bone broth.
Mix all of those ingredients up, throw your lid on, and cook it on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Once it’s done portion it out and top it with some tortilla strips!
A couple tips:
- Make your own tortilla strips if you can’t find bagged ones by either crushing up some hard shell tacos or brushing some soft shell ones with oil and baking them until crisp!
- You can check out or find out where to purchase Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth here: https://www.pacificfoods.com/. This broth is not only awesome in these recipes but they also make single serving ones in a bunch of different flavors that you can sip on. I actually had no idea this was a thing until recently and not only that but they are only around 45 calories and packed with around 9 grams protein (compared to 1 gram in a regular broth). Just one of those little things you’d never think of…
- If you’re on the go and don’t have a way to heat this one up…don’t worry because it tastes great cold!
Don’t forget to follow me @TheProteinChef and tag me with your creations for #SlowCookerSunday!
- Pacific Foods Website: https://www.pacificfoods.com/
- Pacific Foods Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PacificNaturalFoods/
Here is the recipe:
- 2 Pounds (32 Ounces) Lean Ground Beef or Turkey
- 1 Can (538g) Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Can (794g) Crushed or Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can (127g) Chopped Green Chile Peppers
- 1 Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 Package (10 Ounces) Frozen Corn
- Some Cilantro
- 1 Can (439g) Drained & Rinsed Black Beans (Low Sodium Preferred)
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cups (32 Ounces) Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth
- Tortilla Strips
- Make your own tortilla strips by brushing some corn tortillas with oil and baking them until crisp!
- It tastes great cold!
Slow Cooker Liners: http://amzn.to/2H5kOQr
My Slow Cooker: http://amzn.to/2kb3a6c
How to make:
- Brown your Beef or Turkey
- Add all of your ingredients into your optionally lined slow cooker
- Mix everything together
- Cook it on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
Calories in the whole recipe (3675g):
- Calories: 2761
- Fat: 69g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Sodium: 3402mg
- Carbs: 250g (Net Carbs: 194g)
- Fiber: 56g
- Sugar: 67g
- Protein: 285g
Calories in each 525g serving (if you make 7):
- Calories: 394
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Sodium: 486mg
- Carbs: 35.7g (Net Carbs: 27.7g)
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 9.5g
- Protein: 40.7g