Meal prep is back on the menu with this easy to make and Healthy Tuna Casserole recipe! This one is made with simple ingredients (no condensed soup required!) that hopefully you all have access to and can be easily changed up when you’re bored.
We’re going to start this one by taking out a stovetop pan, turning your burner on medium-high heat, and adding in 2 tablespoons of olive oil into it.
Once that heats up add in 170 grams of some chopped up mushrooms, 1 chopped up white onion, 1 chopped up green bell pepper, 10 grams of minced garlic, 1 1/2 grams of salt, 2 grams of black pepper, and 1 gram of thyme.
Give those ingredients a quick mix and let them cook for a couple minutes.
Next, mix in 267 grams of peas and let everything cook for another couple of minutes. If you used frozen peas like I did then you’ll want to let them cook a little bit longer.
You’ll know everything is done when your onion pieces have turned almost translucent.
You can use whatever you want here for this easy healthy tuna casserole. Hate mushrooms? Don’t use them! Don’t like peas and want more protein? Use edamame! Have a first date later and can’t risk garlic or onion breath? Don’t…
On second thought, add more garlic and onion to see if they really like you!
This next part is essentially your base recipe and the vegetable part is what you can switch up to change up the flavor when you’re bored.
Start by taking out 280 grams of dry pasta and cooking it for 1-2 minutes less than your box says to. I’m using bow ties but use whatever you want or have here!
Pro tip? Up the protein with a higher protein pasta like red lentil pasta!
From here take out a large mixing bowl and add into it your cooked pasta, your vegetable mix, 226 grams of plain Greek yogurt, 3 cans of drained tuna, 30 grams of grated parmesan cheese, 112 grams of a cheddar cheese, 1 cup of bone broth, and 1/2 cup of an unflavored milk or milk substitute like almond milk.
Give those ingredients a mix until everything looks incorporated.
Take out a casserole dish, I’m using a 2 quart one which you can find linked below in the recipe card.
Pour your mix into your casserole dish and top your easy healthy tuna casserole with 10 grams of grated parmesan cheese and 30 grams of bread crumbs.
Cover your casserole dish with foil and put it into the oven on 375F/190C for around 35-40 minutes.
Did you know that frozen and canned vegetables and fruit are picked and packaged quickly at peak ripeness? Not only that but most of the time when a vegetable or fruit isn’t in season you can usually find it cheaper in canned or frozen form.
After 35-40 minutes I like to pull the foil off and throw my oven on broil for a few minutes or until it looks like this…
Healthy Tuna Casserole Tips
A couple tips for this one?
- It freezes great so you could easily double or triple the recipe if you have a bigger casserole dish.
- I usually heat mine up in the microwave :30 seconds at a time until hot (don’t forget to mix). No, your office won’t smell like tuna fish if you’re taking this to work!
- If you don’t like tuna fish you can really use any other canned protein you want (think chicken).
Before we end this one I always find it interesting how much certain things cost around the world so today I’m asking, how much is canned tuna where you live and where are you located? Let me know in the comments below.
Ready for dessert? How about a Microwave Protein Brownie!?
Easy Healthy Tuna Casserole
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 170 g Mushrooms - Chopped
- 1 White Onion - Chopped
- 1 Green Pepper - Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 267 g Peas
- 10 Ounces Pasta - Your Choice (Dry Weight)
- 226 g Greek Yogurt
- 3 Cans Tuna - My can were 5 Ounces/142g each. You could also used Canned Chicken, Crab, Turkey, Salmon, etc.
- 8 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 8 Ounces Bone Broth
- 4 Ounces Milk Substitute - or Milk
- 1 Serving Bread Crumbs
- Take out a stovetop pan and turn your burner on Medium-High heat
- Add your Olive Oil into your pan
- Chop up your Mushrooms, Onion, and Pepper
- Add those into your pan once it heats up along with your Salt, Black Pepper, and Thyme
- Mix everything around and let them cook for a couple minutes
- Add in your Peas
- Mix everything around again and let it cook for another couple minutes (longer if you used frozen peas)
- Prepare your Pasta 1-2 minutes less than your box says to
- Into a large bowl add your cooked pasta, vegetable mix, Greek Yogurt, Tuna, 30 Grams Parmesan Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, Bone Broth, and Milk
- Mix everything around until incorporated
- Pour your mix into (at least) a 2 quart casserole dish
- Top with 10 Grams Parmesan Cheese and your Bread Crumbs
- Cover with foil and put it into the oven on 375F/190C for 35-40 minutes
- Optionally remove your foil and put it on broil for a few minutes or until the top is browned
- Calories: 2805
- Fat: 85g
- Saturated Fat: 37g
- Sodium: 3129mg
- Carbs: 280g
- Fiber: 45g
- Sugar: 45g
- Protein: 230g
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 10.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.6g
- Sodium: 391.1mg
- Carbs: 35g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Protein: 28.7g