Coffee is delicious and you usually drink it out of a mug. Another thing that’s delicious and comes in a mug? This Easy Protein Mug Cake recipe! Today we’re having both at the same time in 1 minute or less, without eggs, and by using super simple ingredients you probably already have.
Start this one by adding right into your mug 40 grams of Greek yogurt, 40 grams of unsweetened apple sauce, 30 grams of almond flour (whole wheat pastry flour works great too), 1 scoop of protein power, 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum, 2 ounces of milk, milk substitute, or coffee, and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
Mix all of those ingredients up until your mix is smooth.
Pro tip? You should use at least a 16 ounce mug or microwave safe dish (featured in the video).
Don’t see a measurement that works for you? Remember that I include both US and metric conversions in the recipe card below!
Protein Mug Cake Flavors
A couple ways to easily switch up or add flavor to this mug cake…
- With cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and so on. Think outside the box!
- Mixing and matching your Greek yogurt and protein powder flavors. Chocolate, banana, salted caramel, etc.
- Flavored milk, milk substitute, or COFFEE!
Put your mix into the microwave for around :45 seconds to 1 minute depending on how powerful your microwave is and the size dish you used.
This is the most important step to your easy protein mug cake so make sure to pay attention.
If you microwave it for too long it’ll end up dry and if you don’t microwave it long enough…it won’t be cooked.
The benefit of not cooking it long enough is that it’ll at least still taste great and since there’s no egg in it, it’s safe to eat without cooking it.
Another thing you can do to help it cook evenly? Give it a quick mix after :30 seconds and continue microwaving it.
My favorite tips for this one?
- You can coat whatever you’re using with some non-stick cooking spray so it pops right out if you want to frost it (think Protein Frosting).
- If your mix appears to be too dry you should add a little more milk or coffee to it.
- Top it with some keto friendly sprinkles or anything else you want after the microwave!
Now before we end this, how many of you drink coffee for pre-workout? Let me know in the comments below!
Ready for the next recipe? How about some Pre-Workout Protein Pudding?
Easy Protein Mug Cake
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 2.6 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt - Your Choice Flavor
- 2.6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 4.3 Tablespoons Almond Flour - or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (These are my preferred flours for this recipe however others will work as well)
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder - Your Choice Flavor
- 2 Ounces Milk Substitute - or Milk/Coffee
- ¼ Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Add all of your ingredients into at least a 16 ounce mug
- Mix everything together
- Microwave for :45-1:00 depending on how powerful your microwave is
- Optionally give everything a mix after :30 seconds to make sure everything cooks evenly