Mac & cheese…not the first thing you’d think of if I asked you for a low carb recipe, until today. This cauliflower mac & cheese recipe tastes just like the real thing…without the guilt!!!
The first thing you need to do is buy FRESH not frozen cauliflower. Frozen cauliflower will work but it just doesn’t retain the same texture as fresh cauliflower. After that, cut your cauliflower up into small pieces and boil or steam it until it softens up, usually after around 5 minutes. Once it’s cooked, drain it and put it into a baking dish.
Next take out a saucepan, turn your burner on low-medium heat, and add into it 1/4 cup or 2 ounces of fat free milk, 4 tablespoons or 56 grams of reduced or full fat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of mustard, 1 cup or 112 grams of reduced or fat free cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Keep mixing until everything is smooth.
Pour your cheese mix into your baking dish and mix everything around. Top it with 1/2 cup or 56 grams of some reduced or fat free cheddar cheese, some optional bread crumbs, and whatever else you want.
Bake your mac & cheese on 375F/190C for 15-20 minutes.
Seriously this dish is a game changer that your whole family will love. The perfect texture, delicious flavor, calorie friendly, AND filling.
Here is the recipe:
- Head of FRESH Cauliflower
- 1/4 Cup (2 Ounces) Fat Free Milk
- 4 Tablespoons (56g) Reduced or Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 1/2 Cups (168g) Reduced or Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- Pinch Black Pepper
- Pinch Salt
- Bread Crumbs *Optional
Calories in the WHOLE recipe:
- Calories: 593
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 684mg
- Carbs: 45g
- Fiber: 14g
- Sugar: 19g
- Protein: 74g
Calories in each bowl (if you make 4):
- Calories: 148
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Sodium: 171mg
- Carbs: 11.2g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 4.7g
- Protein: 18.5g
How to make:
- Cut your Cauliflower up into small pieces
- Cook your Cauliflower by either boiling or steaming it
- Drain your Cauliflower and add it into a baking dish
- Take out a saucepan, turn your burner on low-medium heat, and add into it your Milk, Cream Cheese, Mustard, 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese, Minced Garlic, Salt, and Black Pepper
- Stir everything around until it’s smooth
- Pour your mix into your baking dish and mix everything together
- Top your Cauliflower with some optional Bread Crumbs and whatever else you want
- Bake on 375F/190C for 15-20 minutes
- Chopped up chives and bacon bits go great on top!