Mac & Cheese, not the first thing you’d think of if I asked you for a low carb recipe. Today, that changes! This Low Carb Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe is easy to make, high protein, keto friendly, and the best part? It tastes just like the real thing but without the guilt!
For this one you’re going to need fresh, not frozen cauliflower.
If you don’t have the option, frozen cauliflower will work too. The reason I suggest using fresh is that frozen will likely not retain the same texture as fresh cauliflower.
Chop or break your cauliflower up into small pieces. Keep in mind that these pieces will act as your “macaroni” when sizing them.
Throw those pieces in a pot filled with enough water to cover them and bring them to a boil. Lower your heat to medium, cover, and let your cauliflower pieces simmer until they soften up (usually 5-7 minutes).
After they soften up, drain your pot and put them into a baking dish. The baking/casserole dish should be big enough to fit the entire low carb cauliflower mac & cheese recipe.
Next, take out a saucepan and turn your burner on low-medium heat.
Add into that pan 1/4 cup of fat free milk, 4 tablespoons of reduced or full fat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of mustard, 1 cup of reduced or fat free cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of black pepper.
Keep mixing until everything is smooth.
Pour that cheese mix into your baking dish and mix everything around until fully coated.
Baked Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Top your low carb cauliflower mac & cheese with 1/2 cup of some reduced or fat free cheddar cheese, some optional bread crumbs, and whatever else you want like some bacon bits or chopped up chives.
Bake it on 375F/190C for 15-20 minutes.
This low carb dish is a game changer that your whole family will love! It has almost the same texture as regular mac & cheese, it’s DELICIOUS, calorie friendly, and filling!
Let me know some of the low carb variations you try below in the comments.
With that said, how about a low carb dessert? Paid this with our Low Carb Cheesecake Cupcakes!
Low Carb Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Head Cauliflower - Fresh
- ¼ Cup Milk - 2 Ounces Fat Free
- 4 Tablespoons Cream Cheese - 56g Reduced or Full Fat
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 ½ Cups Cheddar Cheese - 168g Reduced or Fat Free
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Bread Crumbs - *Optional
- Cut your Cauliflower up into small pieces
- Cook your Cauliflower by either boiling or steaming it
- Drain your Cauliflower and add it into a baking dish
- Take out a saucepan, turn your burner on low-medium heat, and add into it your Milk, Cream Cheese, Mustard, 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese, Minced Garlic, Salt, and Black Pepper
- Stir everything around until it’s smooth
- Pour your mix into your baking dish and mix everything together
- Top your Cauliflower with some optional Bread Crumbs and whatever else you want
- Bake on 375F/190C for 15-20 minutes
- Calories: 593
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 684mg
- Carbs: 45g
- Fiber: 14g
- Sugar: 19g
- Protein: 74g
- Calories: 148
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Sodium: 171mg
- Carbs: 11.2g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 4.7g
- Protein: 18.5g