We’re back again! This week you voted for it so we’re finally doing it, easy to make and absolutely delicious Protein Cinnamon Rolls. If you’ve tried and like our Cinnamon Roll Protein Pancakes then you’re going to love this new healthy breakfast recipe!
Greek Yogurt Dough
Start this one with a bowl big enough to mix your dough in. I usually mix this step by hand but feel free to use a mixer here if you have one.
To make your dough add in a cup of all purpose flour, 8 ounces of a vanilla Greek yogurt, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Self rising flour works great too, no baking powder or salt needed if you go this route. I’ll put some more flour substitutes in the recipe card below.
From here, mix everything together with a utensil or your mixer for a couple minutes.
As you mix these ingredients together they’ll start to clump up. By the end you’ll have a ball that should be slightly sticky to the touch at most. If it’s still pretty sticky you’ll want to add in a little bit more flour.
The ratio of flour to Greek yogurt may change depending on how watery your yogurt is so keep this in mind.
Next, lay out some parchment paper with a little flour on top of it to help the stickiness and place your dough onto the parchment paper.
Flatten out your dough with your hands or a rolling pill. If you’re using a rolling pin it helps to keep a little flour on top of your dough so nothing sticks.
It’s time to fill your soon to be protein cinnamon rolls! You have choices here so if you don’t like one suggestion remember that you can change it up.
First, I like to brush on around 2 tablespoons of either some melted butter or coconut oil. Make sure to cover all of your dough.
Follow that with your choice sweetener. Most of the time I’ll use a brown sugar substitute but when I don’t have it I’ll usually go with erythritol or monk fruit.
Finish your filling with a generous amount of ground cinnamon.
Last, slowly roll your dough up with your hands and cut your protein cinnamon rolls out. The easiest way to cut them is with string or floss but a knife is fine if you don’t have this.
Flip your rolls over and put them into the oven on 350F/176C for around 20 minutes.
While those are baking I think we can all admit that no good cinnamon roll comes without a frosting. That frosting today? Not only delicious but packed with protein and super easy to make!
To make it you’ll need a mixing bowl, 6 ounces of a cream cheese, 1 1/2 scoops of a good tasting protein powder (I like vanilla), a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 ounces of a Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla), and some optional sweetener if you want it sweeter.
Mix those ingredients together until your frosting forms. This may take a couple minutes if you’re not using a hand mixer.
Top your protein cinnamon rolls with your frosting until they look like this…
The discipline to not eat this entire recipe is real so here’s a distraction…more Protein Frosting recipes!
Protein Cinnamon Rolls
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour - or Whole Wheat Flour, Cake Flour, Pastry Flour, Self Rising Flour
- 8 Ounces Greek Yogurt - Your Choice Flavor (Plain or Vanilla work best)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder - *Not needed if using Self Rising Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt - *Not needed if using Self Rising Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Butter - or Coconut Oil (I've used Nut Butter with success here too!)
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar Substitute - or Sweetener (Your Choice)
- Ground Cinnamon - Generous amount!
- 6 Ounces Cream Cheese - *I use Fat Free here but Reduced and Full Fat work great too (they make a higher protein Greek yogurt variation now too)
- 1 ½ Scoops Protein Powder - *Use a good tasting one (I like Vanilla)!!!
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Ounces Greek Yogurt - Your Choice Flavor (Cinnamon or Vanilla work best)
- Sweetener - *Optional if your Protein Powder isn't sweet enough
- Make your dough by mixing together your All Purpose Flour, Greek Yogurt, Baking Powder, and Salt for a couple minutes (it'll turn into a ball)
- Your dough "ball" should be slightly sticky to the touch
- Flour a surface so that nothing sticks (I use parchment paper) and place your dough onto it
- Flatten out your dough with either your hands or a rolling pin (add a little flour to the top if you're using a rolling pin so it doesn't stick)
- Brush on your Butter or Coconut Oil
- Evenly distribute your Brown Sugar Substitute or Sweetener
- Sprinkle on a generous amount of Ground Cinnamon
- Roll your dough up (take it slow!)
- Cut your dough into your cinnamon rolls (string/floss make this super easy!)
- Turn your cut pieces over, put them onto a baking sheet, and put them into the oven on 350F/176C for around 20 minutes
- Mix all of your Frosting ingredients together until smooth (a hand mixer works best here)
- Top your cinnamon rolls with your frosting
- Calories: 1260
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Sodium: 1540mg
- Carbs: 154g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 36g
- Protein: 98g
- Calories: 157
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Sodium: 192.5mg
- Carbs: 19.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Protein: 12.2g