Healthy homemade Sriracha Sloppy Joes are here! This high protein sloppy joe recipe is packed with awesome macros, easy to make with just a few ingredients, and has just enough kick to get you going.
Start this one by chopping up 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 sweet onion, and 2 carrots. However big or small you want to chop your pieces is completely up to you and the “crunch” you want in these sloppy joes!
Take out a large stovetop pan, put your burner on medium heat, and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil to your pan. If you don’t have a good stovetop pan, here’s a link to the one we’ve been using and recommend.
Once your pan heats up, add in your chopped peppers and onion. Keep those moving while they cook for around 3 minutes or until somewhat translucent.
Continue by adding in and browning 2 pounds of a lean ground beef or turkey. I used a 96/4 ground beef today but anything over 90/10 should work great! If you’re using anything under 90/10 you may have to drain it after browning it so keep that in mind.
How To Brown
To brown your beef or turkey all you need to do is to cook it over medium heat while breaking it up. It should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to brown.
Drop your burner to low heat after browning and add in the rest of your ingredients starting with your chopped carrots, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 8 ounce can of your choice tomato sauce, 10 tablespoons of a hickory & brown sugar BBQ sauce, 5 teaspoons of chili sauce, and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
Mix all of those ingredients together and let it simmer on low heat for around 10-15 minutes or until your Sriracha sloppy joes mix thickens up.
Remove your pan from the heat and pick your macro friendly bread or bread alternative!
Some of my favorite ways to eat these sloppy joes?
- Wrapped in lettuce
- In a tortilla or burrito
- Thin sandwich rolls
- On top of rice cakes
- With low carb bread
Let us know how your like to eat yours in the comments below.
Ready for dessert? Try some Microwave Protein Whoopie Pies!
Sriracha Sloppy Joes
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 Green Pepper - Chopped
- 1 Red Pepper - Chopped
- 1 Sweet Onion - Chopped
- 2 Carrots - Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef - Lean (or Ground Turkey)
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic - or 2 Cloves
- 8 Ounces Tomato Sauce - No Salt Added
- 10 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce - Hickey & Brown Sugar
- 5 Teaspoons Chili Sauce - Sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Chop your Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Sweet Onion, and Carrots up
- Put your Carrots off to the side
- Take out a large stovetop pan, put your burner on Medium, and pour your Olive Oil into your pan
- Let your pan heat up
- Once your pan heats up add in your chopped Green Pepper, Red Pepper, and Sweet Onion
- Cook them for around 3 minutes and keep them moving while they cook
- After 3 minutes add in your Ground Beef and brown it
- Turn your burner on Low
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and mix those together
- Let them simmer on Low 10-15 minutes
- It’s done once your sauce starts to thicken up
- Calories: 1754
- Fat: 46g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 2705mg
- Carbs: 151g
- Fiber: 13g
- Sugar: 113g
- Protein: 184g