Looking for a healthy alternative to regular tuna salad? Look no further! This Canned Tuna Salad recipe takes just minutes to prep, is absolutely delicious, low carb, and high in protein!
All you need for this recipe is a mixing bowl and some hard boiled eggs. If you don’t have or don’t know how to make hard boiled eggs you can check out our Easy Hard Boiled Eggs recipe here.
Add right into your mixing bowl 2 cans of drained tuna, 2 tablespoons of bacon bits, a pinch of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of parsley, 1 tablespoon of relish, 1/4 cup of chopped celery, 1/4 cup of chopped red onion, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 container of plain Greek yogurt, and 2 chopped up large hard boiled eggs.
Did you know that Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream? You can’t taste the Greek yogurt at all!
Mix all of your canned tuna salad ingredients together.
Do I have preferred canned tuna? Yes, whatever’s on sale that week!
I mentioned our hard boiled egg recipe above but if you want an even quicker rundown on how to make them, here you go.
Homemade Hard Boiled Eggs
- Take out a pan big enough for however many eggs you’re making
- Add in cold water 1” above your eggs
- Put your eggs on a burner and turn that burner on medium heat for 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes turn your burner on high heat until they start to boil
- Once boiling, keep them on the heat for 1 minute
- After 1 minute take your eggs off the heat and cover them
- Keep them covered for 10 minutes
- Use a slotted spoon to put your eggs in cold water until they cool off
That’s it, your canned tuna salad is ready! However you want to eat this will depend on your diet and your macros that day. Here are some of my favorite tips for this recipe.
Canned Tuna Salad Tips
- Use lettuce instead of bread to keep it low carb
- Want it spicy? Add in some chili sauce!
- Want other flavors? Use BBQ sauce, garlic, other chopped vegetables, seasonings, and so on to switch up the flavors when you’re bored
- Double or triple the recipe below to make enough for the whole week
Let us know your favorite tuna salad variations in the comments below!
Canned Tuna Salad
The Protein Chef is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 8 Ounces Tuna
- 1 Tablespoon Relish - 15g Sweet No Sugar Added
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Bits - 14g
- ½ Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Red Onion
- ¼ Cup Celery
- 5.3 Ounces Greek Yogurt - 150g Plain (or Fat Free Mayonnaise/Cottage Cheese)
- 2 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
- Hard boil 2 Large Eggs
- Chop up your Hard Boiled Eggs, Red Onion, and Celery
- Combine all of your ingredients into a bowl
- Mix everything together
- Calories: 577
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 743mg
- Carbs: 13g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 84g